Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fan belt

On 27/02/2020 18:54, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/02/2020 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 11:12:20 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Cars haven# had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these
days.

********.

AFAIK those aren't normally electric.

So what kind of pixies drive your cooling fans? If you car is younger
than about 20 years old, they‘ll be electric pixies.

I've just done a quick Ebay search on viscous couple engine driven fans,
and the very first one came up as being for a car made up to 8 years ago.

Over to you to prove no current car has one.

No, fair enough. Its just a long time since Ive seen one. Most of my cars
over the last 25 years or so have been transverse engine, FWD. It is
possible the my Jag XF had a viscous coupled fan, but I never looked. ;-)

No, its electric

The last car that I had that definitely had a viscous coupled fan was a
Volvo 240 which always gave a distinctive €śroar€ť on start up from cold
until the coupling started slipping.

Tim

Don't remember ever having a viscous - went from belt driven to electric!

Its not obvious. Its still belt driven but has some sort of fluid filled
clutch in the hub of the fan.

I don't remember ever having a viscous because I never had one. Maybe my
Opel Manta had one, but that was all. I went from things like midgets
and spitfires and the like to the Manta and then to a Vauxhall Astra and
jaguars. They were all electric. Maybe the XJS was viscous too.

It like mechanical fuel injection. Yes a couple of cars had it but the
transition from carbs to fully electronic was very fast.

Possibly because my transition from broke, running and fixing 15 year
old cars, to having enough money to not bother about lifting the bonnet
on a car less than 10 years old!!! was quite sudden.

Tim

--
€śThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.€ť

€• Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles Ă* M. Claparede, Professeur de
ThĂ©ologie Ă* Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire