Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Table Leg Repair part Deux

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:15:36 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
On 2/26/2020 6:02 PM, Hawk wrote:
I had a chance to look at the table leg and it was a clean break. I slid
the leg back into the base, fit right in and it looked great. It even
held in place. Therefore, my question is what anyone thinks of simply
gluing or epoxying the leg without trying to cut off the base or adding
a rod/dowel in the center? Do you think it'll be just as strong? If so,
what epoxy/glue do you recommend?

Thanks

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm going with a permanent fix of
cutting off the part on table, gluing to leg, using a thick dowel in
center and reattaching to table with a wedged tenon.

The table was leaning up against a wall in the garage with misc all
around. I was unable to view it from all angles but it was about 3"
thick, I don't think it was all solid. I told him in order for me to do
it properly, he'll have to clean the area so I can take the table with
me. But from what I saw, the fix I described will most likely be the
proper method.

....and when you get it home you may very well find that there are other
parts of the table that need repair. I'd go over it very carefully
before quoting a price for repairing just the leg.

Does the table have a leaf? If so, does the sliding mechanism work? Are
the other legs tight? If any parts are veneered, is it separating any
where?

Oh yeah...don't forget to make sure it doesn't wobble and sits level
after you reattach the leg. If cutting the part of the table reduces
the overall height of the leg you'll need to account for that.