Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default fan belt

On 27/02/2020 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 February 2020 11:12:20 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Cars haven# had fan belts for years. Fans are all electric these
days.

********.

AFAIK those aren't normally electric.

So what kind of pixies drive your cooling fans? If you car is younger
than about 20 years old, they‘ll be electric pixies.

I've just done a quick Ebay search on viscous couple engine driven fans,
and the very first one came up as being for a car made up to 8 years ago.

Over to you to prove no current car has one.

No, fair enough. Its just a long time since Ive seen one. Most of my cars
over the last 25 years or so have been transverse engine, FWD. It is
possible the my Jag XF had a viscous coupled fan, but I never looked. ;-)

The last car that I had that definitely had a viscous coupled fan was a
Volvo 240 which always gave a distinctive €śroar€ť on start up from cold
until the coupling started slipping.

Tim

should that not be the other way about?????