Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Table Leg Repair part Deux

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 9:03:22 PM UTC-6, Hawk wrote:

That top part left on the table is part of the leg and attached to the
table. I would need to flush cut it off using my thin saw, similar to a
Japanese saw, reattach to the leg with glue, then drill a hole in the
center to add a dowel, leaving that dowel protruding from the top, drill
a hole in the table for that dowel, then glue the entire leg back to the
table. Thus, the glue or epoxy will still need to be strong enough to
hold the leg to the table, but the dowel will provide strength mainly
when someone pulls the table along the floor.

From the get go, we could not advise you as to repair or price. You needed to go inspect the table and give us more info.

How is the leg "permanently" attached to the table top? A simple dowel or tenon is likely not the method. Your dowel repair, as you describe, will likely not hold up, in a "permanently fixed" (as originally said) condition.. The leg is most likely attached with a blind wedged dowel or tenon. I would recommend doing a similar repair, whether you use a dowel or tenon.
https://www.craftsmanspace.com/knowl...ise-joint.html

IMO for a simple (5/8" at least) dowel extension to hopefully best/better work, it would need to extend into the table top at least 1.5"-2". Is the table top that thick?

If you are not familiar with a blind wedged dowel or tenon, do some practice work on some scrap. Getting the wedge length and (not too thick) width is important as to getting a good fit when the dowel/tenon is jammed into the its hole. Do some practicing if you're not familiar with this attaching technique. Might want to use a 3/4" or 1" dowel if the leg diameter accommodates this size without splitting.

IF you do cut off the part still attached to the table, then you will likely see what size dowel or tenon was (most likely) used in the first place...... and maybe be able to determine if that attachment was a wedged joint technique.

Sonny