Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Mystery device

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 20:33:27 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 16:28:44 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I have this mystery device lying around. It appears to have been hand scraped, and looks more like a measurement tool than a pressing or forming device. Anyone know what it is? It looks cool, but I'm trying to work out if it's worth keeping. Here are two pictures. This is not a quiz. I really don't know:

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device1.JPG
http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device2.JPG

Thanks!

Chris

They're both scraping masters. One for checking flat surfaces, the
other for dovetails.

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...

Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll
find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how
to wiggle the master, etc.

They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for
"camelback straight edge".

--
Ned Simmons