Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery device

Hi folks,

I have this mystery device lying around. It appears to have been hand scraped, and looks more like a measurement tool than a pressing or forming device. Anyone know what it is? It looks cool, but I'm trying to work out if it's worth keeping. Here are two pictures. This is not a quiz. I really don't know:

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device1.JPG
http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device2.JPG

Thanks!

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 16:28:44 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I have this mystery device lying around. It appears to have been hand scraped, and looks more like a measurement tool than a pressing or forming device. Anyone know what it is? It looks cool, but I'm trying to work out if it's worth keeping. Here are two pictures. This is not a quiz. I really don't know:

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device1.JPG
http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device2.JPG

Thanks!

Chris

They're both scraping masters. One for checking flat surfaces, the
other for dovetails.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 02:33:25 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

They're both scraping masters. One for checking flat surfaces, the
other for dovetails.

Thanks. So you put blue compound all over the surface and then gently drag the master over it?

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi folks,

I have this mystery device lying around. It appears to have been hand scraped, and looks more like a measurement tool than a pressing or forming device. Anyone know what it is? It looks cool, but I'm trying to work out if it's worth keeping. Here are two pictures. This is not a quiz. I really don't know:

http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device1.JPG
http://sphinx.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt...ry_Device2.JPG

Thanks!

Chris

They're both scraping masters. One for checking flat surfaces, the
other for dovetails.

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...

Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll
find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how
to wiggle the master, etc.

They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for
"camelback straight edge".

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 16:43:47 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...

Sorry. I've been using Google Groups since my last machine with Netscape 7 died.

Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll
find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how
to wiggle the master, etc.

They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for
"camelback straight edge".

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one day, and they're rather attractive.

Any idea what brand of scraping tool is good, and how much a tool would cost? I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 16:34:11 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 16:43:47 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...

Sorry. I've been using Google Groups since my last machine with Netscape 7 died.

Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll
find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how
to wiggle the master, etc.

They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for
"camelback straight edge".

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one day, and they're rather attractive.

Any idea what brand of scraping tool is good, and how much a tool would cost? I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?

Best wishes,

Chris

For scrapers see:
https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-scrapers

For use... almost anything. Scraping bronze and babbet bearings was
considered a skill in the old days :-)

When I was working in the trade I kept a small triangular scrapper in
my tool box for deburring the edges of holes (along with an 8" double
cut file for deburring outer edges of things :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sea Sea is offline

On 02/22/2020 04:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one day, and they're rather attractive.

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I
quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my screen.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2020 02:47:42 UTC+1 schrieb Sea:

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I
quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my screen.

Alright, I'll try to scrape a bit off next time :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2020 7:47 PM, Sea wrote:
On 02/22/2020 04:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one
day, and they're rather attractive.

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I
quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my screen.

What's your download speed? I thing they only took about 1 second and
way less than two seconds. I have a download
of 60MBPs.
Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sea Sea is offline

On 02/22/2020 06:59 PM, amdx wrote:
On 2/22/2020 7:47 PM, Sea wrote:
On 02/22/2020 04:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one
day, and they're rather attractive.

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I
quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my screen.

What's your download speed? I thing they only took about 1 second and
way less than two seconds. I have a download
of 60MBPs.
Mikek

20Mbps. What's the file size of Mystery_Device1.JPG? I must have endured
it for 30 seconds before I lost interest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2020 7:47 PM, Sea wrote:
On 02/22/2020 04:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one
day, and they're rather attractive.

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I
quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my
screen.

Â* What's your download speed? I thing they only took about 1 second and
way less than two seconds. I have a download
Â* of 60MBPs.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â* Mikek

20Mbps. What's the file size of Mystery_Device1.JPG? I must have
endured it for 30 seconds before I lost interest.

Â* Oh quit being such a short-attention-span-whiney-little-bitch . My
connection is only 10 Mb/s , it took almost a whole minute for BOTH
files to download .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 8:15:32 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Get off my planet! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/23/2020 8:04 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 8:15:32 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Get off my planet! ;-)

Â* It's mine ! And my dick is bigger than your so I win . (sfsf)

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 9:16:13 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 2/23/2020 8:04 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 8:15:32 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Get off my planet! ;-)

Â* It's mine ! And my dick is bigger than your so I win . (sfsf)

Get out of my Solar System!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sea Sea is offline

On 2/22/2020 7:47 PM, Sea wrote:
On 02/22/2020 04:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one
day, and they're rather attractive.

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I
quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my
screen.

What's your download speed? I thing they only took about 1 second and
way less than two seconds. I have a download
of 60MBPs.
Mikek

20Mbps. What's the file size of Mystery_Device1.JPG? I must have
endured it for 30 seconds before I lost interest.

Oh quit being such a short-attention-span-whiney-little-bitch . My
connection is only 10 Mb/s , it took almost a whole minute for BOTH
files to download .

I get about the same speed this morning. Christopher said they're
attractive though, I could be looking at something else. You Trumpy
little dirtbag.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2020 7:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
.... I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild
steel. Is that right?

I've never heard of anybody scraping mild steel, but what do I know. My
opinion is that mild steel is not stable enough to hold the precision
that one is scraping for. CRS especially has internal stresses that
would make it unstable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 16:43:47 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...

Sorry. I've been using Google Groups since my last machine with Netscape 7 died.

I think it's a problem on my end. Recently I started getting errors
trying to open certain messages, haven't been able to discern a
pattern.

Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll
find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how
to wiggle the master, etc.

They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for
"camelback straight edge".

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one day, and they're rather attractive.

Any idea what brand of scraping tool is good, and how much a tool would cost? I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?

Best wishes,

Chris

Yes, cast iron is easier than mild steel. I don't have a lot of
experience, and out of necessity much of it's scraping Turcite. I have
a couple Anderson scrapers with tool steel blades. Sandvik makes
carbide scrapers -- I'm sure there are others. Much of my early
struggles involved proper sharpening, including getting the right
geometry on the scraper edge and recognizing the difference between a
dull tool and bad scraping technique.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 19:45:09 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 2/22/2020 7:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
... I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild
steel. Is that right?

I've never heard of anybody scraping mild steel, but what do I know. My
opinion is that mild steel is not stable enough to hold the precision
that one is scraping for. CRS especially has internal stresses that
would make it unstable.

But "scraping" is simply the removing of small amounts of material
with a "scraper". I've scraped babbet, bronze, cast iron and steel.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Am Samstag, 22. Februar 2020 16:43:47 UTC+1 schrieb Ned Simmons:

Replying here because I had to open your reply in Google groups...

Sorry. I've been using Google Groups since my last machine with Netscape 7 died.

Yes, that's essentially how they're used. If you look into it you'll
find endless advice on how exactly to spread the blue, how thick, how
to wiggle the master, etc.

They do have some value. Search the sold listings on ebay for
"camelback straight edge".

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one day, and they're rather attractive.

Any idea what brand of scraping tool is good, and how much a tool would cost? I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild steel. Is that right?

Best wishes,

Chris

Go find Keith Rucker on youtube. he and a few others are making
camelbacks and other straight edges at the moment.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2/22/2020 7:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
... I'm guessing scraping works much better on cast iron than mild
steel. Is that right?

I've never heard of anybody scraping mild steel, but what do I know. My
opinion is that mild steel is not stable enough to hold the precision
that one is scraping for. CRS especially has internal stresses that
would make it unstable.

But "scraping" is simply the removing of small amounts of material
with a "scraper". I've scraped babbet, bronze, cast iron and steel.
--
cheers,

John B.

You're right. I was thinking in terms of using the OP's straight edge
to scrape machine ways, for instance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2020 7:47 PM, Sea wrote:
On 02/22/2020 04:34 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

I think I might keep the masters now. I might like to use them one
day, and they're rather attractive.

Well then it's a shame that you posted such gargantuan image files. I
quit after I got about the upper 1/3 of Mystery_Device1.JPG on my screen.

What's your download speed? I thing they only took about 1 second and
way less than two seconds. I have a download
of 60MBPs.
Mikek

20Mbps. What's the file size of Mystery_Device1.JPG? I must have endured
it for 30 seconds before I lost interest.

5Mbps here, and they loaded in 20 seconds max.
CenturyLink once sold me 12Mbps internet, but when the tech looked, he
said there were too many bonded pairs there and they wouldn't let him
set me up. That was when I told them I was quitting telephone service
with them, but keeping Internet ($35/mo). Picked up a StraightTalk
phone for $50 and pay $15/mo for unlimited minutes and free LD. Much
better than the $84/mo I used to pay to the scoundrels.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 06:04:15 -0800 (PST), Michael Terrell
wrote:

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 8:15:32 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Get off my planet! ;-)

Get off my tiny crushed sea shells which act as my lawn!