Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Box joints for hanging cabinet

On 2/19/2020 11:50 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 2/19/2020 12:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McGaw writes:
On 2/18/2020 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/18/2020 1:06 PM, Robbie Brusso wrote:
The french cleat idea is a great one (and one I'll likely use
instead of
my idea of a nailer inside the cabinet). Would it be considered
sacrilege
to put a brad into the box joints? Would it risk splitting?

Keep in mind that a French cleat, to be the safest install, still
needs a
screw or two to hold it into position.ÂÂ* The cabinet could be pulled
out
from the wall and fall if not permanently fastened.ÂÂ* That said the
French
cleat is still a good way for one person to hang a cabinet.ÂÂ* This
is not
furniture so screws, brads, etc are acceptable.

I don't see why you couldn't use a brad or a nail or a screw in the box
joint.

A tightly fitting, correctly glued box joint should be stronger than
the wood around it.Â*Â* I don't see the necessity of additional
reinforcement.

Assuming that the joint is fitted well and the glue involved is
guaranteed to never creep under constant load then reinforcement is not
needed.

I don't use glue that is guaranteed not to creep. In 40 years of
serious woodworking I have never had an issue with creep. I only see it
when gluing 2 pieces of wood that expand in different directions. The
joint is still rock solid but now, 10 year, later I can feel the joint.

Glue creep is IMHO something that happens but is not an issue for an
application like the OP is concerned about. Kinda falls under the
assumption that clamping too tightly will starve a joint of glue. Again
nothing I have ever witnessed. The strongest glue line is a thin glue line.

I don't see the necessity of security blankets but if it makes the OP
feel better about it, what is the harm? I back my computers up to three
different destinations and keep copies of my data in a bank vault.
Necessary? Maybe not but it lets me sleep better at night.

Agreed but one could have 5 different destinations and be even safer.
You learn what is necessary and what is not with experience.