Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Box joints for hanging cabinet

On 2/18/2020 6:21 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 2/18/2020 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/18/2020 1:06 PM, Robbie Brusso wrote:
The french cleat idea is a great one (and one I'll likely use instead
of my idea of a nailer inside the cabinet). Would it be considered
sacrilege to put a brad into the box joints? Would it risk splitting?

Keep in mind that a French cleat, to be the safest install, still
needs a screw or two to hold it into position.Â* The cabinet could be
pulled out from the wall and fall if not permanently fastened.Â* That
said the French cleat is still a good way for one person to hang a
cabinet.Â* This is not furniture so screws, brads, etc are acceptable.

I don't see why you couldn't use a brad or a nail or a screw in the box
joint. I've done it with pegs in both box and dovetail joints in drawers
when I was concerned about wear over years of use. There are so many
ways to join wood in an application like this and so many variations
that could be applied to each that one could spend a lifetime trying
them all out (if you work as slowly as I do, anyway). Here is an
old-school way of doing pegged box joints although using rectangular
ebony pegs is kind of out there if you are looking for simple:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/read...1/18/tool-tote

Done properly is is very pretty, you must admit.

I think pegging of the joint is best described in your last sentence. I
think for any other reason may be overkill. There is a LOT of glue
surface in a box joint, triple, IIRC.