Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Further to the gate

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:44:48 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

snip

Maybe in a hundred years' time
when the building is demolished

More like visited by people on diving holidays. ;-(

someone will get a glimpse of a bit of
cable or something and say, "I wonder what became of the cove who
installed that?" Or, more likely, no they won't.

The latter I reckon.

I have suffered with the 'Whatever you do do do do well' issue since a
kid and so most jobs take longer than with most people but they are
generally 'right' (especially where it matters ITRW, rather than
*just* looking good) and don't need doing again, well not for a long
long time.

The problem with this approach is that everything takes that bit
longer, the extra time to measure and space things evenly, or pr-drill
a hole to stop stuff splitting, or making sure it's fully protected
before putting it outdoors, or using the right materials, rather than
what might be cheap or easily to hand.

Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isn't a possibility for the
common man.

Well, it can happen, with the likes of Fred Dibner or Brunel (and many
others who did great things but may not have lived to see the results
or were not recognised as 'great' at the time).

But yes, most 'everyday good work goes unnoticed, other than maybe to
those of us who can appreciate such.

The flipside is that we also see (and are disappointed by) bad work. I
taught our daughter how to paint a room including fine cutting in and
now she sees bad examples of that wherever she goes. ;-(

Yeah, I get the same result with brick work. Far too few bother
to mix the bricks so you get patches of the same bricks usually
by height. And no one taught me that, it just stands out like
dog balls now after I first noticed it.

I generally DGAF if someone / anyone is ever likely to see my work, it
matters not, what matters is that I do it to the best of my ability
and with some level of (fore)thought, where (hopefully) even those who
do it for a living are impressed with the work (because they often
don't have the luxury of time to attend to all the little details).

But as you say, I'm not sure most appreciate such levels of skill /
effort and why in this country, many trades aren't as respected as
they are in other countries.