Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Box joints for hanging cabinet

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 4:53:57 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McGaw writes:
On 2/19/2020 12:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McGaw writes:
On 2/18/2020 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/18/2020 1:06 PM, Robbie Brusso wrote:
The french cleat idea is a great one (and one I'll likely use instead of
my idea of a nailer inside the cabinet). Would it be considered sacrilege
to put a brad into the box joints? Would it risk splitting?

Keep in mind that a French cleat, to be the safest install, still needs a
screw or two to hold it into position.ÂÂ* The cabinet could be pulled out
from the wall and fall if not permanently fastened.ÂÂ* That said the French
cleat is still a good way for one person to hang a cabinet.ÂÂ* This is not
furniture so screws, brads, etc are acceptable.

I don't see why you couldn't use a brad or a nail or a screw in the box
joint.

A tightly fitting, correctly glued box joint should be stronger than
the wood around it. I don't see the necessity of additional reinforcement.

Assuming that the joint is fitted well and the glue involved is guaranteed
to never creep under constant load then reinforcement is not needed.

Even if it creeps- how long would it take for 12 inches of 3/4" box joints
on a 3/4" stock to creep enough that you can even see a gap? Considering
the number of faces glued to each other, I suspect that would take centuries.

Scott,

This cabinet is going above a toilet. Those glue joints may need to support
multiple rolls of toilet paper. If the OP uses 2-ply paper, there will be
substantial sheer force on those joints. The creep might be an issue in a
relatively short amount of time, maybe a couple of eons at most. ;-)