Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Further to the gate

On 19/02/2020 15:44, williamwright wrote:
Me and the dog felt like a walk, so off we toddled. We went through the
back gate, around a field, and back the way wed come. When I got home I
put the kettle on and as I did so it occurred to me that Id twice used
the gate that Id so laboriously repaired only a couple of days before,
with neer a thought. So it is with so many jobs. A job needing doing
reminds you of itself all the time; a done job maintains a low profile;
so low that you forget about it altogether. Washed pots, darned socks,
emulsioned walls, completed paperwork, laid bricks, vacuumed carpets,
no-one celebrates the toiler who produced them, including himself. When
I was working I often did jobs that were not visible unless you looked
hard or had special access, or both, and anyway who looks at cables and
suchlike? I used to think, I made a good job of that, but no-one
including me will know Ive even done it by this time tomorrow (and ever
after) because Ill have forgotten all about it and no-one else will
ever think to look at it. Which is a bit sad really: all those hours of
work going unrecorded and unremembered. Maybe in a hundred years time
when the building is demolished someone will get a glimpse of a bit of
cable or something and say, I wonder what became of the cove who
installed that? Or, more likely, no they wont.* Only the great artists
can immortalise themselves in their work; it isnt a possibility for the
common man.

Do you will think anyone will notice this blokes work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXy-qJqhmVk&t=17s

Waterdale in Doncaster next to the new cinema they are building.

--
Adam