Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Box joints for hanging cabinet

On 2/19/2020 12:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McGaw writes:
On 2/18/2020 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/18/2020 1:06 PM, Robbie Brusso wrote:
The french cleat idea is a great one (and one I'll likely use instead of
my idea of a nailer inside the cabinet). Would it be considered sacrilege
to put a brad into the box joints? Would it risk splitting?

Keep in mind that a French cleat, to be the safest install, still needs a
screw or two to hold it into position.ÂÂ* The cabinet could be pulled out
from the wall and fall if not permanently fastened.ÂÂ* That said the French
cleat is still a good way for one person to hang a cabinet.ÂÂ* This is not
furniture so screws, brads, etc are acceptable.

I don't see why you couldn't use a brad or a nail or a screw in the box
joint.

A tightly fitting, correctly glued box joint should be stronger than
the wood around it. I don't see the necessity of additional reinforcement.

Assuming that the joint is fitted well and the glue involved is guaranteed
to never creep under constant load then reinforcement is not needed.

I don't see the necessity of security blankets but if it makes the OP feel
better about it, what is the harm? I back my computers up to three
different destinations and keep copies of my data in a bank vault.
Necessary? Maybe not but it lets me sleep better at night.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.