Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV optical headphones

On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 23:47:50 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 22:56:43 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 18/02/2020 21:17:40, Jimk wrote:
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

C'mon D i m ! ;-)

Don't you know either?

I've just got in. ;-)

I think we are talking about Bluetooth Headphones here (LG sound sync)
so I'm not sure where the 'Optical' bit comes in?

Ypu can also use a fibre optic cable to connect to such things, I'm using one to
connect the TV to my soundbar

It's quite likely the TV has an optical out that would typically be
used to feed a HiFi or Soundabar but I guess could also feed some
stand-alone wireless headphones?

Perhaps the confusion is wireless, bluetooth and optical.

I know it's possible to use an optical link with is also wireless.
But an optical link like this usually uses a 'lead' which is a fibre
optic cable so can't really be referred to as wireless even though the fibre is not really a wire in the normal sense of the word.

For the link to the headphones to be optical it would have to have
multidirectional receivers on the headphones and you have to hope no
one walks between you and the TV. ;-)

Only if the optical is using an infra red link.

Other than that, I'm not sure ...

Cheers, T i m