Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV optical headphones

OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

C'mon D i m ! ;-)
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 21:17:40, Jimk wrote:
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

C'mon D i m ! ;-)

Don't you know either?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

I suspect it is referring to the limited number of earphones which come
with a special Bluetooth transmitter which connects to the optical output
of audio devices, TVs etc.

The only make I recall are Sennheiser but there may be others.

You could, perhaps, cobble together a version by getting an optical to
analogue interface / converter and connecting the output to a Bluetooth
transmitter.

Bluetooth transmitters which take an audio input and generate a Bluetooth
transmission you can pair with are surprisingly cheap- I recently bought
one of EBay for about £4 to link a TVs audio to an audio system with a
Bluetooth input.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

C'mon D i m ! ;-)

Don't you know either?

I've just got in. ;-)

I think we are talking about Bluetooth Headphones here (LG sound sync)
so I'm not sure where the 'Optical' bit comes in?

It's quite likely the TV has an optical out that would typically be
used to feed a HiFi or Soundabar but I guess could also feed some
stand-alone wireless headphones?

For the link to the headphones to be optical it would have to have
multidirectional receivers on the headphones and you have to hope no
one walks between you and the TV. ;-)

Other than that, I'm not sure ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 23:20, Brian Reay wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

The TV may well have bluetooth built in anyway... what model is it Tim?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Possible confusion with an optical audio out, usually fibre-optic to an
amplifier rather than headphones?

What LG model?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes any form of wireless seems to have drawbacks. I heard of somebody with a
cheap set of bluetooth headphones. Using them with the tv made the lip sync
very bad indeed due to latency in the system. also any total quiet for more
than a couple of seconds cut the sound completely and the first syllable of
the next word was missing.I' also seen this on bluetooth speakers on a
mobile. As for Infra red, as many cinemas and theatres found this is prone
to problems both from noise and obstruction getting between the receiver and
the transmission panels.

I would have thought an old school type of wireless headphones and a
transmitter/charger were adequate.
Another gripe about a lot of modern tvs is that when you turn on AD, you
seem not to have the choice of only having it on the phone feed with the
normal sound so it would not annoy the sighted watcher so much.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

You don't say whether the audio input is optical or not.

The better TVs have optical and Bluetooth outputs as standard, as well
as a range of others, so there should be no need for the OP to 'cobble
together' anything no matter how cheap.

--
Spike

The maths teacher broke down in tears at
the North West Wiltshire Magistrates Court.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Possible confusion with an optical audio out, usually fibre-optic to an
amplifier rather than headphones?

What LG model?

LG32LM6300PLA (has bluetooth 5) could easily be Greek to me!

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

LG32LM6300PLA:-) The manual is very unforthcoming but largely my
ignorance (bluetooth 5 is mentioned)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Spike
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

OK.

I think I need to rephrase the question to *would anyone care to
recommend bluetooth connected comfortable earphones for a geriatric?)

Do any have adjustments for age related hearing defects?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 09:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

The TV may well have bluetooth built in anyway... what model is it Tim?

LG32LM6300PLA:-)

That sounds familiar ;-)

The manual is very unforthcoming but largely my
ignorance (bluetooth 5 is mentioned)

If it has bluetooth, and you have bluetooth headphones, then (in theory)
all you need to do it enable bluetooth on the TV and "pair" them (a one
off process where you introduce one device to the other).

You may find some audio lag - but that does vary with the particular
headphones. The TV also usually has an adjustment to compensate. I have
found it more noticeable on my "entry level" Boltune headphones, that
observed on a set decent Sony ones.

I can try later on with that TV if you need more guidance....

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 21:11, Tim Lamb wrote:

OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

As others have said, the optical output is the high-quality connection
to something like a soundbar, or possibly a higher-end adapter such as a
Bluetooth sender. Your TV probably has Bluetooth output anyway.

If you set your Bluetooth headphones to the 'pair' setting, the TV
should pick this up and you'll get an on-screen message to accept this.
Select 'Yes' and you're away. Adjust the volume using the remote.

If you press the 'Settings' button on the remote, it will bring up a
menu on the LHS of the screen. These can be hard to navigate, so if you
select the bottom one ('All Settings'} it will being up another menu on
the RHS that's easier to navigate. Select 'Sounds' and you'll see a full
choice of the outputs are available. Select the one of choice, and press
the 'Settings' button to close the menu. Enjoy!

HTH

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Spike
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

That is a different question entirely.

How much do you want to spend?

Seriously, especially as youve indicated some hearing issues, you probably
dont want to go €˜top end, especially for TV use.

Ive been looking on Amazon for a pair, also for a TV. While Ive not
ordered them yet- just havent got around to it- Im probably going to go
for a cheapy pair €˜Amazon Choice flagged. If they arent acceptable, I can
always return them. The reviews are generally good. I forget the exact
price but under £30.

Do any have adjustments for age related hearing defects?

Not something Ive needed to look at.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spike writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Headphones tend to be a 'persona' kind of thing, for both fit and sound
quality.

Do any have adjustments for age related hearing defects?

My view is that if you have some hearing loss, merely using headphones
in the first place will cut out a lot of extraneous noise and you'll
experience clearer sound anyway. I'd suggest a pair of 'over-ear'
headphones rather than 'on ear' or 'in ear' types as they cut out more
room noise than the other types. Experimentation is really the best way
forward.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 10:48, Spike wrote:

Headphones tend to be a 'persona' kind of thing, for both fit and sound
quality.

Where the L did that go LOL.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Spike
writes
On 19/02/2020 10:48, Spike wrote:

Headphones tend to be a 'persona' kind of thing, for both fit and sound
quality.

Where the L did that go LOL.

Turnpike has spellcheck:-) The old ones are best!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Spike
writes
[...]

Ok Spike. LG are not hugely attuned to European thought processing but I
guess their target market is i-phone adepts used to thumb juggling.

I need to buy a set of bluetooth earphones before taking this any
further.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:10:43 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

I need to buy a set of bluetooth earphones before taking this any
further.

Or buy earphones, headphones etc., nevermind the bluetooth. And these may come
with its own base that gets mains power, and also audio, usually from a
cable-with-plug that goes into a jack on the TV.

NB: if you wear hearing aids, there are "headphones" that don't have
loudspeakers, but an "induction loop", a wire that loops around the neck. This
then feeds into the hearing aid via the "telephone" input, (inductive pickup
rather than the microphone). This makes everything more complicated, but once
set up, it Just Works, and rather better than the microphone.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 21:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

Sony Handy Speaker ?. £129 in J-L.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:10:43 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I need to buy a set of bluetooth earphones before taking this any
further.

If these do really need to cater for someone specifically (but not
exceptionally) hard_of_hearing, I believe my mate got some for his
MIL (he bought them for her, not swapped them for her g) and
apparently they were very well received. I can find out what if you
like but I don't think they were 'cheap' (if this is only a
experiment)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Even more reason for you to investigate the Sony Handy Speaker.
Purpose made for TV viewers who need their own personal audio
levels that might conflict with anyone else watching.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 09:45:59 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

I think I need to rephrase the question to *would anyone care to
recommend bluetooth connected comfortable earphones for a geriatric?)

Sony WH-CH510, £40 from John Lewis, Argos, etc. Absolutely
brilliant. Comfortable for hours at a time, battery lasts for
35 hours on a charge, comes with appropriate USB-C charging
cable. You can get them in black, blue, or white if that is
important to you. I got white, although they are a very pale
blue/grey in reality and they set off my sartorial grace
beautifully.

I use mine for keeping my mind occupied on long walk where
they work very well indeed to block out road noise even though
they aren't noise-cancelling. They are the "on-ear" type where
padded ear cups press on the ear (rather than "over ear" which
are larger and envelope the ear completely, or those "ear buds"
which you cram right down the lug'ole and give you the ability
to develop infections). I tried many different headphones at the
displays in a few different shops and by far these were the
best. Other headphones in the price range either had notably
poorer sound quality, headbands which were too tight or too
loose, or a combination thereof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

C'mon D i m ! ;-)

Don't you know either?

I've just got in. ;-)

I think we are talking about Bluetooth Headphones here (LG sound sync)
so I'm not sure where the 'Optical' bit comes in?

Ypu can also use a fibre optic cable to connect to such things, I'm using one to
connect the TV to my soundbar

It's quite likely the TV has an optical out that would typically be
used to feed a HiFi or Soundabar but I guess could also feed some
stand-alone wireless headphones?

Perhaps the confusion is wireless, bluetooth and optical.

I know it's possible to use an optical link with is also wireless.
But an optical link like this usually uses a 'lead' which is a fibre
optic cable so can't really be referred to as wireless even though the fibre is not really a wire in the normal sense of the word.

For the link to the headphones to be optical it would have to have
multidirectional receivers on the headphones and you have to hope no
one walks between you and the TV. ;-)

Only if the optical is using an infra red link.

Other than that, I'm not sure ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
wrote:

I need to buy a set of bluetooth earphones before taking this any
further.

Or buy earphones, headphones etc., nevermind the bluetooth. And these may come
with its own base that gets mains power, and also audio, usually from a
cable-with-plug that goes into a jack on the TV.

NB: if you wear hearing aids, there are "headphones" that don't have
loudspeakers, but an "induction loop", a wire that loops around the neck. This
then feeds into the hearing aid via the "telephone" input, (inductive pickup
rather than the microphone). This makes everything more complicated, but once
set up, it Just Works, and rather better than the microphone.

I'm holding off hearing aids. Very little of what I do requires good
hearing and it doesn't hurt her to shout a little (or enunciate clearly
as requested).

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:10:43 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I need to buy a set of bluetooth earphones before taking this any
further.

If these do really need to cater for someone specifically (but not
exceptionally) hard_of_hearing, I believe my mate got some for his
MIL (he bought them for her, not swapped them for her g) and
apparently they were very well received. I can find out what if you
like but I don't think they were 'cheap' (if this is only a
experiment)?

Our respective bedrooms are vertically separated:-)

If I have my TV volume set to overcome my hearing deficiencies, the
adverts are then a bit loud. I was thinking earphones would be a way out
particularly if the upper frequencies could be tweaked a bit.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
On 18/02/2020 21:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.
Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.
I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.
Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

Sony Handy Speaker ?. £129 in J-L.

Now someone has pointed out the bluetooth option, the discussion has
moved to suitable headphones. £50 budget.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:07:09 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

If I have my TV volume set to overcome my hearing deficiencies, the
adverts are then a bit loud. I was thinking earphones would be a way out
particularly if the upper frequencies could be tweaked a bit.

Errrr -- the adverts are always louder, curse them. And where they aren't
allowed to be, they are made more noticeable acoustically. Making the less loud
bits louder, and other tricks to make the ads stand out.

Headphones with a volume knob or a mute button on the headset itself would help
with this, maybe?

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
wrote:

I need to buy a set of bluetooth earphones before taking this any
further.

Or buy earphones, headphones etc., nevermind the bluetooth. And these
may come with its own base that gets mains power, and also audio,
usually from a cable-with-plug that goes into a jack on the TV.

NB: if you wear hearing aids, there are "headphones" that don't have
loudspeakers, but an "induction loop", a wire that loops around the
neck. This then feeds into the hearing aid via the "telephone" input,
(inductive pickup rather than the microphone). This makes everything
more complicated, but once set up, it Just Works, and rather better than
the microphone.

I'm holding off hearing aids. Very little of what I do requires good
hearing and it doesn't hurt her to shout a little (or enunciate clearly
as requested).

good hearing aids do more than increase the basic level. They can be
frequency selective in the amount of amplification they provide. I get a
30db boost at around 3kHz.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I think I need to rephrase the question to *would anyone care to
recommend bluetooth connected comfortable earphones for a geriatric?)

Problem I can see is they are still going to need their battery charging.
Which means returning them to a charging point of some sort. So no real
advantage over any type of cordless headphones. But may well have a degree
of latency other types won't have.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Thomas Prufer wrote:
Errrr -- the adverts are always louder, curse them. And where they
aren't allowed to be, they are made more noticeable acoustically. Making
the less loud bits louder, and other tricks to make the ads stand out.

I doubt you'd find the ads in the middle of The Voice or similar louder
than the prog. ;-)

The only way to make sure ads ain't louder would be to audition every
single ad break and set the levels for that. Which is never going to
happen - and never has.

And those paying for the ads, and therefore the prog you are watching
wouldn't be happy if it was quieter than it.

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If I have my TV volume set to overcome my hearing deficiencies, the
adverts are then a bit loud. I was thinking earphones would be a way out
particularly if the upper frequencies could be tweaked a bit.

Errrr -- the adverts are always louder,

No they aren;t apparently well the absolute volume isnl;t increased
but the compression ratio is change so the averafge amplitude is raised,
because there;s few if any low volumes such as whipsering in an add,
and there;s few if any explosions so the auto level rises.
Well that is what I was told by a sound engineer.

curse them.

Yeah that still appl.ies and I still have to mute them .

And where they aren't
allowed to be, they are made more noticeable acoustically. Making the less loud
bits louder, and other tricks to make the ads stand out.

Yep, that's what the advertisers pay for so I can hear their ads while I'm
walking out to make a cup of tea in the ad break.

Headphones with a volume knob or a mute button on the headset itself would help
with this, maybe?

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I think I need to rephrase the question to *would anyone care to
recommend bluetooth connected comfortable earphones for a geriatric?)

Problem I can see is they are still going to need their battery charging.
Which means returning them to a charging point of some sort. So no real
advantage over any type of cordless headphones. But may well have a degree
of latency other types won't have.

The Amazon Choice ones I mentioned have a claimed run time on batteries of
100 hrs.

As for the €˜lag, in the past I found you soon learned to ignore it.

The beauty of wireless is you can move around without getting straggled -
even pop to the loo or to make tea / coffee- without thinking about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Paste" wrote in message
[...]

But that last obviously depends on how fat your head is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:18 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 04:18:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

04:18??? And STILL unable to go to bed, you clinically insane senile cretin?
LOL

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
No they aren;t apparently well the absolute volume isnl;t increased
but the compression ratio is change so the averafge amplitude is raised,
because there;s few if any low volumes such as whipsering in an add,
and there;s few if any explosions so the auto level rises.
Well that is what I was told by a sound engineer.

Actually, the peak level allowed on ITV is actually 4 dB lower than peak
programme level. Or was at one time. Doubt the likes of CH5 etc complies
with that though.

But any signal processing in the broadcast chain isn't altered between
prog and ads. More the way the ads are made. If you think about it,
they'll use a nice high quality mic for the speech good and close. And
choose the voice which is clearest. Unlike most of TV where they use nasty
personal mics.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 17:18:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

But that last obviously depends on how fat your head is.

How dare you! My head is perfect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Paste wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But that last obviously depends on how fat your head is.

How dare you!

Very easily !!

My head is perfect.

Perfectly fat I bet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:41 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for SEVEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 08:41:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the senile asshole's latest troll****

08:41? So you've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT LONG, like you do EVERY
night ...and EVERY day! LMAO At least you are no longer trying to hide that
you ARE clinically insane, senile Rodent! LOL

cretin from Oz: