Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spike[_6_] Spike[_6_] is offline

Default TV optical headphones

On 19/02/2020 09:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
Spike writes
On 18/02/2020 23:20, Brian Reay wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

OK So the new LG 32" TV is mounted on the wall.

Set up required a modest brain transplant but fairly normal for a
Luddite.

I understand it has an output which can be used with optically fed
earphones.

Anyone care to explain what bits are needed as the on-line manual is
less than helpful.

I suspect it is referring to the limited number of earphones which come
with a special Bluetooth transmitter which connects to the optical output
of audio devices, TVs etc.

The only make I recall are Sennheiser but there may be others.

You could, perhaps, cobble together a version by getting an optical to
analogue interface / converter and connecting the output to a Bluetooth
transmitter.

Bluetooth transmitters which take an audio input and generate a Bluetooth
transmission you can pair with are surprisingly cheap- I recently bought
one of EBay for about £4 to link a TVs audio to an audio system with a
Bluetooth input.

You don't say whether the audio input is optical or not.

The better TVs have optical and Bluetooth outputs as standard, as well
as a range of others, so there should be no need for the OP to 'cobble
together' anything no matter how cheap.

OK.

I think I need to rephrase the question to *would anyone care to
recommend bluetooth connected comfortable earphones for a geriatric?)

Headphones tend to be a 'persona' kind of thing, for both fit and sound
quality.

Do any have adjustments for age related hearing defects?

My view is that if you have some hearing loss, merely using headphones
in the first place will cut out a lot of extraneous noise and you'll
experience clearer sound anyway. I'd suggest a pair of 'over-ear'
headphones rather than 'on ear' or 'in ear' types as they cut out more
room noise than the other types. Experimentation is really the best way
forward.

--
Spike