Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Flooded Cars?..

On Monday, 17 February 2020 20:51:27 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 17/02/2020 17:55, nightjar wrote:
On 17/02/2020 17:30, Brian Reay wrote:
nightjar wrote:
On 17/02/2020 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:
I stumbled across a manual intended for the emergency services etc who
might encounter hybrid vehicles. I was surprised that the vehicle in
question (and I expect others) have a drain facility on the drive
battery
to permit the draining of (presumably flood) water, along with
procedures
to follow. While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix, Id have
thought if the battery was flooded and anything bad was going to
happen it
would have happened before anyone had a chance to drain it.

I saw mention online of somebody try to rescue a drowned Tesla.
Apparently, one of the cells exploded when he tried opening the battery
pack in order to dry it out. Whether that would have been the case had
he been able to drain it first is unclear.

Im not sure.

If the water can get in, the pack cant be water tight. Perhaps the
action
of opening it weakened the structure.

I was wondering whether opening it allowed air to get in, which fuelled
the explosion.

I cant help thinking the battery would be scrap once flooded.

IIRC about 80% of the cells were salvageable.

I read somewhere that Tesla re-use 2nd hand car battery packs in their
domestic battery storage system.

Nissan do.