Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flooded Cars?..

In article , T i m
writes
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 17:05:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

snip

The low down starter motor was never quite the same after my deep
flood drive but nothing else suffered.

BIL took us round an off road course in Abingdon a few years back in
his 2L auto diesel Discovery. It was probably the first (and last)
time it had ever been properly off road during his ownership.

At the end of the course was a long trench full of muddy water. The
idea is you gunned it though this and saw how high you could spray the
water.

Given this was his only / family car and daily driver we assumed he
was going to go though it like Ms Marple. No, to our surprise he did
give it some (for a 2L auto, 4 up) and I saw the water (just) come up
the front windscreen (and no snorkel)!

The Fire Brigade were there hosing the cars off for a charity donation
but nephew wanted to leave it as is for the drive home so we just
wiped lights and number plates etc. Apparently it had to be left like
that for a forthright for all nephews schoolmates to see. ;-)

However, about a month later the alternator failed and whilst it could
have been a coincidence, we think it was a side effect of it's muddy
dunking. ;-(

I have to say, given the lack of experience of the driver, it only
being a 2L diesel, std fit tyres and an auto ... and without any diff
locks, it handled the course very well! [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] The towbar did ground out at the bottom of many of the hills, both
on the way up and down.

Sounds like the sort of prat who gets off road driving a bad name.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 07:40 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER SEVEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 07:40:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

07:40!!! LOL You can't AFFORD to know any shame, right, miserable senile
idiot?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 20:56:08 +0000, Andrew wrote:

The lady running a sandwich shop in Pontypridd said the granite
worktop in the shop needed 5 big blokes to carry it in.

The flood water just pushed it off.

Water is denser than air so that lump of granite will weigh(*) over a
1/3 less in water than in air.

(*) Don't confuse weight with mass.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But I'd be surprised if insurance companies pay out on a flooded car to be
able to replace it like for like.

My daughter's two cars were replaced like for like after Fishlake.

Bill
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:
While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix

Lithium ion batteries do not contain elemental lithium

It's a lithium salt, and they are sealed

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 16:21, jon lopgel wrote:
water waste deep in it.

That water waste gets everywhere!

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Andrew wrote:

the granite worktop in the shop needed 5 big blokes to carry it in.

Water is denser than air so that lump of granite will weigh(*) over a
1/3 less in water than in air.

So three big scuba divers and one wimpy one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 February 2020 20:51:27 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 17/02/2020 17:55, nightjar wrote:
On 17/02/2020 17:30, Brian Reay wrote:
nightjar wrote:
On 17/02/2020 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:
I stumbled across a manual intended for the emergency services etc who
might encounter hybrid vehicles. I was surprised that the vehicle in
question (and I expect others) have a drain facility on the drive
battery
to permit the draining of (presumably flood) water, along with
procedures
to follow. While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix, Id have
thought if the battery was flooded and anything bad was going to
happen it
would have happened before anyone had a chance to drain it.

I saw mention online of somebody try to rescue a drowned Tesla.
Apparently, one of the cells exploded when he tried opening the battery
pack in order to dry it out. Whether that would have been the case had
he been able to drain it first is unclear.

Im not sure.

If the water can get in, the pack cant be water tight. Perhaps the
action
of opening it weakened the structure.

I was wondering whether opening it allowed air to get in, which fuelled
the explosion.

I cant help thinking the battery would be scrap once flooded.

IIRC about 80% of the cells were salvageable.

I read somewhere that Tesla re-use 2nd hand car battery packs in their
domestic battery storage system.

Nissan do.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 18:28, Spike wrote:
On 17/02/2020 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:

I stumbled across a manual intended for the emergency services etc who
might encounter hybrid vehicles. I was surprised that the vehicle in
question (and I expect others) have a drain facility on the drive battery
to permit the draining of (presumably flood) water, along with procedures
to follow. While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix

What makes you think that lithium is present as a metal?

I didn't say it was. The comment was to waylay the uninformed comment re
the 'school boy' reaction of lithium and water.

Clearly it wasn't clear enough for you and others.

That aside, the Lithium Ions, present in the various chemicals depending
on the chemistry of the particular battery, can be an issue.

Still, you are free to ignore such things and treat Lithium batteries as
you please.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 12:43, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

I do and have been for nearly 20 years

Water has never been an issue in the 100 or so packs that have pased
through my hads

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
writes
In article , Andrew Andrew97d-
scribeth thus
The problem is, those cars aren't flooded with clean water, even though
it is from a river. The amount of fine mud and silt in the water
is what makes cleaning nigh on impossible because this infiltrates
all the seat fabrics and stuffing, the carpets, soundproofing,
everywhere.

Hence the news shots of people sweeping out a layer of sticky gooey
mud (and sewage) from flooded properties.

We used to supply handportable radios to most of the colleges in
Cambridge. The number of them that went into the river!!!!

If they were retrieved within a few hours and then washed out yes washed
and rinsed in distilled water and dried out well, they were usually OK
afterwards.

Much more than a day and they were well on their way corroding we did
once try an experiment of dunking one that had a serious fault into tap
water no damage after three days or so. The impurities and other stuff
its a wonder the fish live in there!.

As to sewage in houses a believe a lot of that comes up via the drains
that right or not?...

yes
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 06:09 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 06:09:32 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

06:09? LOL You KNOW that people can see now what's wrong with you, right,
senile Rodent? But you just don't know what to do about it! LMAO

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In uk.rec.cars.maintenance Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
very little but they will be auctioned off by ins co's and who knows
where they will end up ...

Copart.

And then bought up by a scrap dealer either as a fixer-upper or to part out.

Plenty of Water/Flood showing up he
https://www.copart.co.uk/quickpick/n...gs_public _en

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 21:17:33 +0000, bert wrote:

snip

[1] The towbar did ground out at the bottom of many of the hills, both
on the way up and down.

Sounds like the sort of prat who gets off road driving a bad name.

Aww, berk, are you jealous (as well as being too stupid to snip)?

1) It was a 'fun' closed course [1] for people of all skill and
experience levels (inc none, so you could also have had a go if you
wanted). ;-)

2) You were invited to 'run what you brung' ... and the only exception
was the (presumably joke?) sign at the gate saying 'No Freelanders'.

3) Several vehicles had to get recovered because they got stuck
somewhere or broke stuff (holding everyone up).

4) BIL did a good job for his first time, even impressing a couple of
the marshals on the more complex bits (and given the limitations of
his Disco).

5) He got a good cheer from the audience on the final water splash
(and that was the point / goal).

6) On the second (of two) lap I managed to also get some video from
the outside so he could enjoy seeing all the axle articulation and a
feel for the angle of the assents / descents.

A good day out enjoyed by all. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] But you knew that eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
[...]

He's still a prat.
--
bert
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 12:43, Brian Reay wrote:
On 17/02/2020 18:28, Spike wrote:
On 17/02/2020 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:

I stumbled across a manual intended for the emergency services etc who
might encounter hybrid vehicles. I was surprised that the vehicle in
question (and I expect others) have a drain facility on the drive battery
to permit the draining of (presumably flood) water, along with procedures
to follow. While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix

What makes you think that lithium is present as a metal?

I didn't say it was.

Actually, you did. It was in the sentence you snipped:

"While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix, Id have
thought if the battery was flooded and anything bad was going to happen it
would have happened before anyone had a chance to drain it."

The comment was to waylay the uninformed comment re
the 'school boy' reaction of lithium and water.

Clearly it wasn't clear enough for you and others.

I'm not sure you understand what you write.

That aside, the Lithium Ions, present in the various chemicals depending
on the chemistry of the particular battery, can be an issue.

Still, you are free to ignore such things and treat Lithium batteries as
you please.

If the above represents your knowledge of EV batteries, I suggest you
don't buy a car fitted with them.

--
Spike

The maths teacher broke down in tears at
the North West Wiltshire Magistrates Court.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:
On 18/02/2020 12:43, Brian Reay wrote:
On 17/02/2020 18:28, Spike wrote:
On 17/02/2020 15:04, Brian Reay wrote:

I stumbled across a manual intended for the emergency services etc who
might encounter hybrid vehicles. I was surprised that the vehicle in
question (and I expect others) have a drain facility on the drive battery
to permit the draining of (presumably flood) water, along with procedures
to follow. While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix

What makes you think that lithium is present as a metal?

I didn't say it was.

Actually, you did. It was in the sentence you snipped:

"While Im aware Lithium and water isnt a good mix, Id have
thought if the battery was flooded and anything bad was going to happen it
would have happened before anyone had a chance to drain it."

Your inability to comprehend simple statements is getting worse.

I suggest you refrain from making yourself look stupid.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 10:35, Brian Reay wrote:
Spike wrote:
[...]

Heavy night, was it? Take more water with it.

--
Spike

The maths teacher broke down in tears at
the North West Wiltshire Magistrates Court.

OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots can kill you Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 50 May 2nd 09 07:59 AM
motor flooded m Ransley Home Repair 1 January 9th 05 02:16 PM
Flooded Salt Tank - Kenmore Water Softener ... S Rao Home Repair 6 October 11th 04 02:41 AM
Flooded Cellar Stormin Mormon Home Repair 5 September 11th 04 02:52 AM
Dealing with Flooded Tools. Dave Mundt Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 05:58 AM