Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Questions about roof repair/replacment.

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 16 Feb 2020 14:39:25 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 2:55:23 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/16/2020 12:51 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:23:09 -0500, micky
wrote:

I need a new roof, or a repair of the old one

And one gutter has fallen down (for reasons I could explain) and bent a
lot and is not resusable, but the downspout is good. In the front, the
last two feet are sagging and need one or two gutter screws.

So one roofer says he wants to replace the whole thing, at least in the
back, because they're rusting. I say, it's aluminum. He says the
screws are rusting. That would have to be the screws for the one
downspout, which show no visible signs of coming loose. I haven't
looked to see if the heads are rusty but I don't think he did either.

Even if he uses a different brand of gutter, there is no problem
connecting new gutter to an existing aluminum downspout, is there?

If an aluminum downspout lasted 40 years, any reason it can't last
another 40?

Can't say for sure not seeing it. Sometimes, taking apart the old,
straightening or cleaning it is more time and cost than just going with
new. Not worth quibbling over $50 in material on a big job. Go new and
be secure with it.

+1

Without seeing it, who knows. But if a crew has to spend half an hour
trying to straighten out some mangled gutter, it's not worth it. And

No one has ever suggested straighting out the mangled gutter.

I need the rear gutter. The issue is the front and the downspouts

then the contractor knows that if they try to fix it, a lot of times
some customers are still not satisfied with how it looks, or blames them
later when the rest comes loose, etc.

I'm sure, but I'm a big boy and I won't blame them when ever the rest
comes loose.