Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Sky Q and many channels at once - how does it work?

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:24:22 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

How do they put H and V polarized channels onto the same cable?

Different frequencies, modulation, multiplexing and others (I
suspect). [1]

https://www.inverto.tv/lnb/186/progr...lnb-with-24-ub

Because these unicable LNBs don't steal the DAB/UHF frequencies it's

It's not stealing, it's making use of them.

Only if you don't destroy them if present?

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that? I have an aerial and a Sky dish, I have a cable from each. I'd never have thought of trying to cram both signals onto one, then trying to split them at the other end. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

Depends how big the block of flats you are distributing such signals
to. ;-)

The cynic in me says Sky have adopted a bespoke system to tie people
into their Q service. Its no longer just a matter of swapping out a box
at the end of the cable as can be done with a "traditional" LNB.

If I wanted to stop Sky, I'd just change the LNB back to whatever was needed by the new service.

'Just' may not be so easy if it's on the roof or a 3rd+ floor flat and
assuming your replacement LNB fitted the bracket etc?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Over 40 years ago I was bench repairing TDM and PCM equipment (BT)
that put say ~30 simultaneous telephone calls down one pair of copper
wire. And later (Different Co) kit that would often 'effectively'
compress 4 x 48K datalinks into 1 x 48k link. ;-)