Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone service

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:47:00 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 2/15/20 3:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Most have "effectivel abandoned" all the copper already. The "main
trunk" runs along the back of my property and to replace it would
require tunnelling through a LOT of tree roots (almost a mile, end to
end across numeous properties) All the "spare pairs" have been used
and they cannot provide me (along with numerous others) a "clean
line".

A noisy phone line was why I switched to phone service from the cable
company.

When sprint took over the mom and pop phone company here they replaced
the whole "plant" and our lines were clean. I also knew the "data"
guys well at the telco and had a way of getting a clean line if I made
enough "noise" even on the old system. At the end of the day they are
still a government regulated utility and you can push down from the
top if you have to. It helped that I had better tools to assess their
line quality than they did tho.