Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Adjusting hinged doors

T i m wrote in
:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:49:46 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

Rising Butt Hinges are big and ugly

I guess 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' or some of us just DGAF
about how different a rising butt might look compared to a non RB
hinge, especially considering the advantages (as we see them)? ;-)

- and do not have a ball bearing
version so the door will always need more effort to open it.

That's not something I have ever considered so I assume there may be
cases where an unlatched door couldn't be pushed open by a baby, cat
or someone who was very frail or disabled possibly (but then you
wouldn't fit them for those reasons)?

Our terrier doesn't seem to have any issue opening ours, nor the
whippet who was here before him (from inside (as long as it wasn't
pushed 'to') or outside).

But then again, my Mums house was fitted with RB throughout (by Dad /
me) so I've grown up with them. ;-)

When I need to take a door off in a hurry (when helping people move /
move stuff / paint etc) and find it's *not* a RB, I always sigh, even
if it is only 6 screws. It becomes 'a job', rather than just doing
what you want quickly and easily.

Cheers, T i m

A friend bought a new house and all the hinges featured radiused hinge
plates to enable the recess to be easily routed and by pressing a clip
thing the hinge separated to allow the door to be removed.