Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Sky Q and many channels at once - how does it work?

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:16:38 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 18:27:42 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

Ah that makes sense, I guess they lose their polarization inside the cable.

In that the LNB has converted the signal from unbound 'waves' with
polarity (horizontal, vertical, circular etc) to a straight electrical
signal (also waves of course) on / in a conductor (not wave guide)?

Yes. You can't polarize waves in a conductor, there is no up down left right.

I wonder, could we have diagonally polarized beams form the satellite? I'd guess no, as they'd be picked up at half power by horizontal and vertical receivers. There's probably countless more modulations to increase bandwidth, just look at the huge list of things they did with modem signals.