Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Questions about roof repair/replacment.

Will every replacement sheet of plywood be noticeable from the street,
two stories down, because plywood is 1/8" thicker. Should they use
3/8th to patch 3/8ths?

Sure, 1/2" is better and they probably have a hundred sheets in the shop
but have no 3/8". I never would have though the 1/8 would be noticeable
once the shingles are down but I'm not an expert on it. I'd not do it
for ceramic tile though.

I helped a guy re-shingle his pre-fab home -
- many years ago - the early cheapo days for pre-fab -
- the sheathing was very thin - we soon learned to step carefully
onto the truss/supports - if accidently stepping between -
it was a big fear of putting your boot through the roof !
... didn't happen to any of us - but a very uncomfortable feeling !
Black shingles on a scorching hot sunny day - leaving our
boot-prints in the new shingles .. half the ball team working -
... the owner probably spent more on beer & burgers than he
saved on labour.
John T.