Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed60062 Ed60062 is offline

Default Questions about roof repair/replacment.

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 8:23:15 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
I need a new roof, or a repair of the old one.

The shingles are still very good. One plywood sheet is sagging an inch
at the top. The recommended repair is just the ridge rail, the fan, one
sheet of plywood, and the shingles above it. Why not just repair it and
then replace the whole roof in 5 or 10 years. (The roof is 13 years old
now) (Shingles used to patch it likely won't perfectly match what's
there now, and though I don't spend much time looking at roofs, I don't
recall anyone else here with unmatched shingles, and I don't rmember it
being a violation of any HOA rule.)

Is there any problem mixing 1/2" plywood with 3/8"? Will it look
funny from the ground? I think it has 3/8" now, going back to 1979.
(It's not the problematic fire-resistant.)

Is there a point to putting shingles over the ridge vent? Does it make
a plastic ridge vent last appreciably longer?

One roofer is suggesting architectural shingles.
Are they made out of a different material or are they just thicker?
Their shape, alternate wide and narrow, will clash with my next-door
attached townhouse (and every house in the n'hood.) Would any of you
care about that?
He says it's guaranteed for 50 years, transferrable to next owner. Is
that as good as it sounds, or will the next roofer say the warranty is
void** because the plywood is soft after 70 years (most of it is 40
years old now and 30 years from now, long before the 50 year warranty is
over, it will be 70 years old.) **OR, the warranty is good but it
doesn't matter because we have to rip off the warranted shingles to
replace the plywood and we can't reuse the shingles.

Is there a problem using a roof fan that is larger than necessary?
Any experience with the GAF fan that has WiFi/Bluetooth remote control?
Is it of any use? I have full width soffitt vents in the front and back
of a townhouse.
(Let's not do one more round of telling me I don't need a roof fan.
Every time I mention the fan, people claim I don't need it but my
experience is different, my mind is made up, and by now it's just
annoying.)

Given that you are in a townhome development with rules and regulations, make sure to check that you aren't restricted on type or color of roofing that is allowed.