Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Phone service

On 2/15/2020 8:46 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 2/14/2020 8:30 PM, A K wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:00:55 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:58:48 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I have a landline and internet from Frontier.

My bill is $70 plus $18 more of taxes.

That's around a 25 % tax rate !!!!

I am also not happy that Frontier has a monopoly on land line service.

I could live without the landline, but I have to have it because I have
DSL.

Are there any cheaper options?

Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

I assume by landline, you mean VOIP over the internet, not copper wires?
But it doesn't matter. You can likely drop the phone part of Frontier,
just use them for internet and use any of the VOIP companies.Â* I've used
Ooma, for example.Â* You buy the VOIP box, about $50, then the service
is just about $5 a month, which is to cover the taxes and fees.Â* It's
worked great for me.Â* The only thing stopping you would be if Frontier
won't unbundle the phone and internet or charge you just as much without
phone, but they probably can't do that.

My landline is copper wires.

I like having a landline because it still works when a hurricane hits
which can knock out cell towers.

I found out that Frontier charges $6 each month for when they have to
repair a phone line that someone digging cuts.

I told the lady, "You mean customers have to pay when someone damages
the phone line ?"

I am praying for peace. :-)

Andy

Ditto here in western NC.Â* No cable, although it is at the base of the
mountain where I live.Â* So, the only thing is slow DSL from Frontier.
I'm beyond the 14000 foot limit, so they only allow 3meg, however,
because I'm just outside and my line it clean, they allow it toÂ* .....
wait for it ..... 6meg.Â*Â* Woopie!Â* The town has gotten some federal
money to give high speed all over.Â* I'm hoping it will come this way.

We are lucky and I have choice of Comcast or Verizon FIOS. My Comcast
triple play give me up to a gig. Wife complains about cost but will not
do what neighbor across the street does and switch back and forth when
initial offer expires and price goes up.

I have both services to my house but gave up the FIOS telephone lines.
Since I only had one business phone on it the charged me land line
prices which did not include long distance, caller id, etc.