Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default raised letters

On 15/02/2020 08:58, wrote:
On Saturday, 15 February 2020 01:35:50 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

On 14/02/2020 10:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
got my new debit card today and it no longer has raised letters and
numbers...so I guess those old school credit card machines are no longer
? .....much easier to read

They'll have to write the numbers down with a Biro on the form when the
Sun flares up and wipes out all the electronics.

Yes, they can use the old telegraph for comms,[1] but the number of
abacus operators in the back end systems will be unbelievable.

[1] Does anyone know if we have a strategic reserve of thermionic
devices?

Almost every home still has a thermionic device - a magnetron. Glass valves are getting ever fewer.

I've got several vacuum fluorescent displays, which are (multiple)
triodes. They are glass.

--
Max Demian