Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Fortic tank leak

On 13/02/2020 12:34, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On 13 Feb 2020 12:13:32 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
One thing leads to another.
The management company of our blocks of flats sent around some
documents which included the warning that stagnant water in pipes
above a certain temperature may harbour dangerous bacteria, namely
Legionella.
Since I got a dose of Legionella a few years back in Portugal my wife
freaked.

We don't use this hot water system as the shower is an electric power
shower.
So, I turned off the main feed to the fortic tank and drained down the
via the hot taps in kitchen and bathroom.

This morning there is much water in the airing cupboard and a steady
drip coming from the bottom of the fortic tank.

Is a drain down of the tank itself using the drain cock on the side
the probable best solution?

Curious. What do you do for hot water for the rest of your hot taps? How
long have you lived there? How many folk have caught Legionella from their
HW systems in your flats?

Where is this water in your airing cupboard? Has your tank just sprung a
leak?

If you want to drain a HW tank you cant do it via the hot taps as HW is
drawn off from the top of the tank. If you have a drain cock at the bottom
youre sorted, if not a length of hosepipe inserted through the HW outlet
down to the bottom of the tank will allow you to syphon it out.

Tim

Used this method but nothing coming out of the drain cock and this
(gravity pressure?)tank is still full.

I explained the busy role of the kettle in an earlier post.

I did that for while and the three feet on the kettle 'melted'
dents into the cushionfloor which won't recover. damn.