Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default delayed

"Pancho" wrote in message
On 13/02/2020 16:19, alan_m wrote:
On 13/02/2020 14:52, Pancho wrote:
I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus.
Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as
flu, but
like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with other
issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

So how come the doctor who discovered it died ( Li Wenliang).

The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be several orders of magnitude
greater than common flu.

Is it or have we generally built up an immunity to the types of flu seen
over the past few decades. When flu morphs into a different strain in
future we could see the death toll seen 100 years ago.

That is why I said "common" flu.

But yes, flu could mutate into an especially severe form. Hopefully modern
medicine would be better at handling a modern version of Spanish flu. I
see they quote about 6 months to develop a new flu vaccine. I'm not sure
how difficult it will be to develop a vaccine for nCoV. Hopefully if we
can delay it arriving here for a year or two,

Its already there, 9 individuals in fact and sure to be more
now that it is clear that at least one GP is one of them.

we will be OK. Although, we still don't have an AIDS vaccine after 35
years.

Yeah some viruses mutate too fast for a vaccine to be viable.

The common cold is another example.