Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Torx masonry screws

On 11/02/2020 13:41, Andrew wrote:
On 11/02/2020 13:03, newshound wrote:
On 11/02/2020 00:42, williamwright wrote:
On 10/02/2020 13:36, Bert Coules wrote:
I have to attach a TV bracket to a conventional brick-with-plaster
wall. The bracket is a hinged extending design which means that even
with a small TV the weight supported will be considerable.Â* Plus,
the baseplate of the bracket has to be spaced out from the wall by
some 50mm, probably with a block of timber or similar.

Would these Torx-head frame fixing screws be suitable?Â* I've never
used them.

The problem with advising you is that everything depends on the
masonry, and it varies greatly. It all depends on the masonry. When
approaching such a job I would always have a wide variety of fixings
with me, and I'd decide which to use when I'd assessed the masonry.

Bill

+1.

I've only owned three houses, the brickwork in the Victorian and
Georgian ones could be very variable in places. And as for the current
random stone rubble filled cottage! For larger fixings (e.g. I have a
wall-mounted corner shelf unit for TV and audio) the very first job is
to hunt for big solid bits of stone, then fit substantial horizontal
battens (e.g. 50x38) to these, then build the rest around it. I have
occasionally used lengths of 10 mm studding going in a foot or more
(usually set in sand/cement because you can lose a whole cartridge of
resin per hole).

In a modern brick or blockwork house you should be luckier.

'Modern' blocks could well be solar blocks and those concrete screws
will just tear out the edges of the hole. For these blocks, use
long plastic plugs with parallel sides and use an HSS drill bit to
make a clean hole, so that the plug is a snug fit.

Do you mean frame fixings, which are normally hammered ito place,
although the screws can be unscrewed. If it is lightweight blocks
(normally pretty obvious because even wood bits will drill them) I'd be
worried that rawlbolts could split them, especially if near an edge.