Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Johnson[_4_] Peter Johnson[_4_] is offline

Default The last census?

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:05:27 -0000, "NY" wrote:

I wonder what information will be released in 100 years' time for censuses
that I appear on. Will they tabulate and release all the answers to
questions about religion, income, sexual orientation and race? It would be
interesting if the census office released specimen entries for each of the
forthcoming censuses as a list of column headings, so you knew what was
coming. We'll find out in two years' time what info the 1921 census
contains.

If current experience is anything to go by then researchers will be
able to see the original documents, and all fields entered.

FindMyPast recently released a special "census" ("The 1939 Register"
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register) that was carried out when WWII
was expected, with the names of anyone who was now dead being listed and the
name of anyone still alive (supposedly) being redacted. My mum was amused to
see that her entry (as a young child) was not redacted so she was visible
alongside her (dead) parents' names. She was quite happy for it to remain
that way, but she contacted FindMyPast to alert them to the error, even if
she declined their offer to redact it from now on. Interestingly, her entry
lists her married name as well as her maiden name, so someone must have gone
through and retrospectively annotated the 1939 entry with much more recent
information from her 1960s marriage.

Recently = 2015. It's also on Ancestry now, and seems to have been
updated with name changes on marriage until the 1990s.
I think the claim made by another contributor that there is/was a
connection in the census to the electoral register is mistaken.