Old February 12th 20, 08:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The last census?

The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

Old February 12th 20, 09:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/20 07:13, Andy Burns wrote:
The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

More wasted money on legalised snooping. Why don't they just pay Google
for the info?

Every ten years I have fun trying to (legally) make it as difficult as
possible for the coders/OCR equipment to read my census return. For
example, many years ago the requirement was for it to be completed in
blue or black ink. That year I used the palest blue colour I could find
- it was almost indistinguishable from the background, but it /was/
blue. The next time it was a requirement for the ink to be black, so I
used a square font (like the one here
https://www.dafont.com/squarefont.font) with the lines of the letters
entered without spacing between them and the edges of the black boxes.
But the ink /was/ black.

I wonder what the requirement will be next year?

--

Jeff
Old February 12th 20, 09:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 08:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/02/20 07:13, Andy Burns wrote:
The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

More wasted money on legalised snooping. Why don't they just pay Google
for the info?

Every ten years I have fun trying to (legally) make it as difficult as
possible for the coders/OCR equipment to read my census return.

Well assuming a team of people are being paid to manually enter any
tricky forms, that's even more money wasted then. Well done.

Old February 12th 20, 09:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 08:12:55 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Are you an illegal immigrant?
Old February 12th 20, 09:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

Why don't they just pay Google for the info?

Last time they suggested the credit reference agencies knew it all ...

Old February 12th 20, 10:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/20 08:28, Richard Conway wrote:
On 12/02/2020 08:12, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/02/20 07:13, Andy Burns wrote:
The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

More wasted money on legalised snooping. Why don't they just pay Google
for the info?

Every ten years I have fun trying to (legally) make it as difficult as
possible for the coders/OCR equipment to read my census return.

Well assuming a team of people are being paid to manually enter any
tricky forms, that's even more money wasted then. Well done.

I do my best. But it is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall cost
of a census.

The Census Act 1920 was a short, but very well written piece of
legislation which makes it impossible to refuse to complete a census
request. Well, you /can/ refuse, but it leads to a conviction, fine, and
another request to complete the census form. Refuse that, and another
fine, etc (maybe eventually leading to even a "contempt of court"
conviction). It's obviously a really heinous crime in the eyes of the UK
Government.

Nearly all the information available from a census is obtainable form
other sources (the birth, marriage, and death register is a good start).
Some countries have realised this and don't require a general census
(see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_and_housing_censuses_by_country#Methods _of_conducting_population_census).

If those countries can do it, why can't we? After every census, there is
talk of abolishing it, but it gets nowhere. Even talk of making the 2021
census fillable online misses the point; it's just not necessary as the
information is already out there. If anything sensible is required which
/isn't/ out there, well, great, ask for it - but specifically.

Resistance may be futile, but if upsets the "governmental Borgs" in any
way, it is worthwhile IMHO.

--

Jeff
Old February 12th 20, 10:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/20 08:50, harry wrote:
[...]

No. If I was could probably claim it was in my "Human Rights" to not
complete the census form and get away with it!

--

Jeff
Old February 12th 20, 10:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought Google will be able to do it any time you like unless you
are a non person, ie never been on line or banked with any services which
uses google systems or do not live in a council area using google services.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old February 12th 20, 10:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

Irrespective of the way in which the information is collected (census
document sent to every household or "other sources") I wonder if the
information that is gathered will be kept for posterity and for the use of
future genealogists 100 years from now when it is released from the 100-year
embargo.

I wonder how the accuracy and completeness of the "other sources" of
information will be checked. I think it is an offence to give false
information (or no information) in the census, but I bet it's not for the
"other sources", so the quality and completeness of data will be highly
suspect. Using electoral rolls as the primary source of the census is dodgy
because some people choose not to go on the electoral roll (thus forfeiting
their right to vote) because they want to remain "under the radar"; other
people are on the electoral roll in two places (eg home and university)
which has always seemed a dubious practice even if they only vote in one
place - it leads to some people (but not others) being able to choose which
constituency will benefit more from their vote.

How are people identified in a census - I've forgotten? Is it just by name
or does each person in a household have to give a unique ID such as National
Insurance number? If they gave NI number, it would make it much easier for
genealogists to trace the correct John Smith as he moves from house to house
between one census and the next.

Old February 12th 20, 10:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 07:13:00 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

The next census might be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51468919

Just like the previous one was supposed to be the last?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10584385

The census is quite a valuable source of information for those doing
family genealogy. What annoys a genealogists, historians & family
members doing research is the UK's insistence on sticking rigidly to the
"100 year rule" whereby the 1921 census will be released in 2022. The US &
Australian census (for example) are released under a "72 year rule" & can
be researched up until 1940, & the US 1950 Federal census will be released
in 2022.

2011 Census Steve Ackman Metalworking 15 April 8th 11 08:59 AM
Census/DIY direct action against Lockheed Martin John Stumbles UK diy 28 March 24th 11 08:49 AM
Duplicate Census Forms Oren[_2_] Home Repair 63 April 6th 10 05:30 PM
The 2010 Census has begun Oren[_2_] Home Repair 5 January 26th 10 03:23 PM
First political census worker killing Ouroboros Rex Electronic Schematics 0 September 24th 09 10:33 PM