Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why doesn't everything use solid aluminium capacitors?

On Sun, 09 Feb 2020 16:43:30 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Stop excessive crosposting...

I suppose cos they can get them el chepo. I also have found toward the
end of the 90s, those little tantalum caps that look like blobs of
resin coloured blue tend to go leaky and damage the rest of the
circuit.
Nothing is supposed to last any more.
Brian

I remember working on (expensive) test equipment in the 80s and a common
failure mechanism with the tantalum bead capacitors was a short circuit
taking out other components.

That's the big problem with tantalums - they almost always fail short
circuit.