Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Driving at night

On 09/02/2020 17:55, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/02/2020 16:19, Robin wrote:
On 09/02/2020 12:53, Richard wrote:

FWIW, I have never seen the milky way in all it's glory other than in
photos due to the simple fact that the smaller points of light are
not visible with my prescription.

I've never seen it, probably because I've never attempted to see it
anywhere dark enough.

The OED defines the Milky Way as " The irregular, faintly luminous
band that circles the night sky, now recognized as composed of
billions of stars..."Â* If someone claims to be able to see the
individual stars in the Milky Way either (a)Â* they don't know what it
is or (b) they have /very/ big eyes.

Presumably it's visible because we are looking across the disc of the
galaxy where there are a lot of stars in the same direction. There must
be stars in the same direction near enough to be seen individually; why
shouldn't they be said to be "in the Milky Way"?

Anyone can say that*. It just ain't the conventional meaning of the
term - viz. the band of light from stars that /can't/ be resolved with
the naked eye.

*I ought to add "unless the College of Policing have issued new guidance
on non-crime hate speech"

--
Robin