Old February 7th 20, 04:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driving at night

Martin James Smith wrote in
:

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 11:47:05 GMT, John [email protected] wrote:

Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light
everwhere. Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive
lights at the eyes
of drivers.

And cars with LED headlights.

Cars with normal bulbs replaced with LED are the worse as the LED light
source is not quite where the filament was. Therefore there is some
scatter.
Dirty lenses also scatter the light.

Old February 7th 20, 04:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 February 2020 15:46:31 UTC, Graham. wrote:
Cursitor Doom Wrote in message:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:14:20 +0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

HUGE 4x4 that have their headlights focused on the middle of your rear
screen even on dipped....

In 2002 I recall being blinded by a (then new) Mercedes that pulled
out in front of me in a long traffic queue one wet night. It had the
brightest rear brake light (at the bottom of the rear screen) I've
ever seen. It was atrocious and really made me see red in more ways
than one. I'm guessing a less phlegmatic person than I would have
jumped out and thumped the driver (and I'll bet not a few drives did!)
I can't recall the model now after all these years but I'm sure the
manufacturers would have had to recall them to dim them down.

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask, do any cars dim there
lights automatically depending on ambient light? It seems that
the usual (German) suspects do not, judging by the way their
brake lights blind me at night. traffic lights have had light
sensors for decades.

Ambient light is not an adequate basis for dimming. If they could assess how visible they are to anyone who might need to see the light, then that would make sense. Like through the spray you are throwing out behind at speed on a motorway.

Old February 7th 20, 04:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 7 February 2020 11:47:08 UTC, John wrote:
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

You might have incipient cataracts. The lens in your eye becomes cloudy and causes scatter.
My neighbour just had his eyes done, (plastic lenses) reckons it cured his similar problem.

But these LED headlights ARE a pain.

Old February 7th 20, 04:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 2,
John [email protected] wrote:
And cars with LED headlights.

Cars with normal bulbs replaced with LED are the worse as the LED light
source is not quite where the filament was. Therefore there is some
scatter.

That entirely depends on the type of headlight. Projector types - with a
bulls eye in front of the bulb - are very tolerant of bulb type.
Tungsten, HID or LED all give a similar and well controlled beam pattern.

You'll see that demonstrated on U Tube if you're interested.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 7th 20, 04:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 13:51, NY wrote:
"John" [email protected] wrote in message
2.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming
towards you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you
didn't mention it.)

Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night
vision of the drivers behind. (*)

Theoretically red light should leave *night vision* unaffected as the
rods are only sensitive by and affected by blue-green light (which is
why red lights are used in submarine cabins - to retain vision for the
periscope at night). I suspect that there is too much light during
normal driving to need the rods: and your blue sensitive cones should be OK.

--
Max Demian

Old February 7th 20, 05:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:46:23 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Graham. wrote:

In 2002 I recall being blinded by a (then new) Mercedes ...

Mercs had horrible HID lights as well. Mate had one, he was following
me down the A68 (roamn road, so straight but hilly and bumpy) he was
a mile or more behind but everytime he crested a hill or hit a bump
it looked like he was flashing his headlights. Observation of other
cars exhibting similar "flashing" showed they were all Mercs.

traffic lights have had light sensors for decades.

Not aroud here. The set on Langwathby Bridge(*) don't dim at night.
The green is so bright that you can't see where the entrance to the
girder section is until you are past them and it's not straight on...

(*) Oldest temporary bridge in the UK having been put in place in
1968 after the 300 year old sandstone arch bridge was washed away in
floods a few months earlier.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old February 7th 20, 05:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 08:23:03 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google wrote:

Ambient light is not an adequate basis for dimming. If they could assess
how visible they are to anyone who might need to see the light, then
that would make sense. Like through the spray you are throwing out
behind at speed on a motorway.

Or just fog in daylight. Confuses the auto lights on my car, can be
in thick fog but with a relatively high light level so it switches
the lights off...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old February 7th 20, 06:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
"John" [email protected] wrote in message
2.222...
Night driving is made harder by:
People with dirty and poorly aimed headlights.
Houses with exterior floodlights aimed to light up the air.
Buildings with bulkhead type lights that just throw the light everwhere.
Cyclists who deliberately seem to aim their intensive lights at the eyes
of drivers.

Drivers who don't dip their headlights when you can see them coming
towards you. (That goes without saying, which I presume is why you didn't
mention it.)

Drivers who leave their rear (red) foglights on even when it isn't foggy.

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night vision
of the drivers behind. (*)

Drivers who don't use full beam when it is safe/considerate to do so (ie
when there's nothing in front of them) which makes it more difficult to
see where the road ahead of them goes when you want to overtake them. I
tend to put my beam on as soon as I'm level with the car, so at least *I*
can see where the road goes beyond the distance that their dipped
headlights lights up.

Thatís more evidence that there is something unusual
about your eyes. The driver of the car you are passing
can obviously see where they are going but you need
more light there.

Since you made the original comment I have never
been dazzled by those who keep their foot on the
brake when stopped at lights at night,

(*) I was once stuck in a long queue of traffic that had been diverted
because the main road had been closed due to an accident. The diversion
has a staggered crossroads where all four roads are busy so it needs
traffic lights - but because it is staggered, the lights only let traffic
in one direction (as opposed to two facing directions) go at once, so
queues quickly built up. There were long period where the traffic was
stationary, and then occasions when everyone shuffled forward about 100
yards. The guy in front of me kept his foot on his footbrake all the time
he was stationary, so all I could see was three big red blobs from his
brake lights. I put my sun visor down and closed my eyes. The light was so
bright even through my eyelids that I could see when they went out and
knew that it was safe to move forwards a bit. Even so, it was difficult to
see the road ahead for the first few seconds because my night vision had
been "destroyed" by the bright light and took a while to recover.

Thatís more evidence that your eyes take longer than normal to adjust.

I've never had that effect and have never had to
close my eyes when stopped in traffic and almost
no one here doesnít keep their foot on the brake
when stopped at traffic lights at night.

I'm not sure whether he had an automatic and was too lazy to put it into
neutral and apply the handbrake whenever he was stopped

Or doesnít see the point in doing that.

- after all, it was easy to work out that each time we stopped it would be
for at least a minute. I suffered in silence because I didn't want to
cause conflict, but eventually the guy behind me (who could see the brake
lights through my windscreen) leapt out and yelled "For F's sake take your
foot off the brake when you've stopped", and I heard a few cheers from
other drivers behind me ;-) The offender decided to play silly buggers so
he then took to doing an emergency stop whenever he got close to the car
in front - luckily I wasn't too close when he first did it, and I was wise
to his little game after that. I resisted the temptation (and it was hard
to resist!) to put my headlights on full beam so *he* would be dazzled
like he was doing to me.

Old February 7th 20, 06:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Drivers who keep their brake lights on when they are stopped for many
minutes in a queue of traffic, dazzling and "destroying" the night
vision of the drivers behind.

My car has an "auto hold" feature, where it keeps brake pressure applied
once you take your foot off the brake, my previous card had it too.

The old car turned the brake lights off while held, so I made a point of
taking my foot off the brake pedal, and do the same with the new car,
but I've realised that the new one keeps the brake lights on until I
touch the accelerator to move off again :-(
Old February 7th 20, 06:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 07/02/2020 11:47, John wrote:
[...]

better being blinded than not seeing a wee ned in his fart can with dark
lenses on everything and inadequate bulbs.....