Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default windscreens...

On 07/02/2020 11:01, Brian Reay wrote:
On 05/02/2020 10:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

No.

Having watch how the professionals fix a 'chip' I don't think I'd even
try. To do the job properly- and I mean so you really can't see it- not
only takes time and skill but the right tools.Â* I had a very nasty chip
on the Honda and Autoglass turned up, repaired it, and it was perfect.

True, a few months later ANOTHER stone hit the screen somewhere else
(why does it always happen twice?) and the chip was near the edge,
almost immediately the screen cracked. (All no where near the previous
chip).

If it is your Mustang I would think getting a replacement screen would be
a pain in the proverbial so, even if you need to pay, getting in someone
like Autoglass is well worth it.

not a problem very easy if you take a chinky knock off ...an original
takes longer....the screen looks as if it has been sand blasted by
pebbles with two big ones ...one in line of sight and one on the
offside....done them all with the chiky kits and have to say that stuff
that dentist invented sets like concrete.....the line of site one has
been mentioned on the mot advisory for a good few years so didn't want
to trouble my insurance...

I always put a bit of clear tape over a chip ASAP until it is repaired.
I was told this helps stop moisture getting it. Not sure if it works
but, other than when the chip has been near the edge, Autoglass have
always been able to repair any I've had (quite a few over the years).

very true....they did the duster and I can't see it

Most fully comp insurance policies include free chip repair and
windscreen replacement (sometimes any window) for a reduce cost (I think
I paid £75).

If you have to pay yourself for a new windscreen, try a main dealer.
(May be not for the Mustang.) Surprisingly they are often a LOT cheaper
than places like Autoglass for non-insurance work. Year ago, when I
first lost a windscreen and didn't appreciate the system, I got quotes
and Ford dealer were a LOT cheaper than the local windscreen place.
However, my insurance company wanted to use Autoglass and I assume got a
'deal' and it cost me nothing.

yes insurance puts prices up for everybody...just got two o2 sensors to
replace if I can get them out of customs at heathrow and we are all set
until mot time in july......mpg has dropped from 35 to 22 highway
because of the sensor fault....