Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default windscreens...

anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 10:26:16 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

I'm guessing you mean resin stone chip repairs. If so, they're of very limited use. If there's even a single crack radiating even 1mm out from the chip, that crack will inevitably spread out, and UK law bans use of any windscreen in that state.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 10:26:07 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

If a repair is possible many insurance policies cover that for a
tenner and no affect on your no-claims bonus. You'll get a
"professional" repair and less argument from the insurance co should
the damage grow requiring a replacement screen.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
If a repair is possible many insurance policies cover that for a
tenner and no affect on your no-claims bonus. You'll get a
"professional" repair and less argument from the insurance co should
the damage grow requiring a replacement screen.

I had a stone chip (with no visible cracks radiating out from it) repaired
by a well-known repairer. The repair was virtually invisible. However a few
days later a crack began which quickly propagated to the edge of the
screen - so I called the repairer and they treated it as a high-priority
urgent job, and the whole screen was replaced within a few hours at no cost
on my insurance, because the initial repair was exempt from a charge and the
screen replacement (which normally carried a cost on my policy) was a
consequence of the original attempted repair.

That screen has now got a small chip which I'd have thought would fail the
MOT, but because it's only about 2 mm diameter (less than a 5p coin, which I
believe is the threshold size) is deemed to be OK even though it's in my
field of view.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 10:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 10:26:07 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

If a repair is possible many insurance policies cover that for a
tenner and no affect on your no-claims bonus. You'll get a
"professional" repair and less argument from the insurance co should
the damage grow requiring a replacement screen.

yes but this stone hit damage has been on the windscreen for a good few
MOT's and I don't suppose my insurance would be happy with them being
landed with the bill rather than the prev owner....anyway I have done
the repair and it looks quite good......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 15:34, Michael Chare wrote:

The cost for these repairs can be quite low as they save insurance
companies from having to buy new windscreens.

I've noticed that in recent years the insurance companies I've used have
started to apply a compulsory excess of at least £100 on windscreen
replacement (more if you don't use their approved replacement company)

On the same subject, on a renewal quote that may have a reasonable
premium watch out that the insurance company hasn't increased the
compulsory excess amounts meaning that they are taking much less of the
damage/loss risk when you renew your insurance with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 10:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 10:26:07 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

If a repair is possible many insurance policies cover that for a
tenner and no affect on your no-claims bonus. You'll get a
"professional" repair and less argument from the insurance co should
the damage grow requiring a replacement screen.

+1

The professional repair kit gets the resin right into the crack and then
exactly flush with the surface afterwards. You can just about see the
slight difference in the refractive index if you look carefully.

Unlike paint chips it isn't really DIY territory unless you like having
your windscreen fail as a shower of glass fragments whilst at speed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 17:36, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 15:56:40 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 05/02/2020 15:34, Michael Chare wrote:

The cost for these repairs can be quite low as they save insurance
companies from having to buy new windscreens.

I've noticed that in recent years the insurance companies I've used have
started to apply a compulsory excess of at least £100 on windscreen
replacement (more if you don't use their approved replacement company)

On the same subject, on a renewal quote that may have a reasonable
premium watch out that the insurance company hasn't increased the
compulsory excess amounts meaning that they are taking much less of the
damage/loss risk when you renew your insurance with them.

When I had our Citroen Grand Picasso screen changed, it had to be taken
away and the cars onboard electronics recalibrated as the camera which
feeds loads of gizmos had to be moved.

that is why insurance companies are getting annoyed at the cost of those
stupid screens......puting the price up for the rest of us.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2020 10:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 10:26:07 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

If a repair is possible many insurance policies cover that for a
tenner and no affect on your no-claims bonus. You'll get a
"professional" repair and less argument from the insurance co should
the damage grow requiring a replacement screen.

+1

The professional repair kit gets the resin right into the crack and then
exactly flush with the surface afterwards. You can just about see the
slight difference in the refractive index if you look carefully.

Unlike paint chips it isn't really DIY territory unless you like having
your windscreen fail as a shower of glass fragments whilst at speed.

Scaremongering. Windscreens havent failed like that since they stopped
being simple toughened glass donkeys years ago.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
The professional repair kit gets the resin right into the crack and then
exactly flush with the surface afterwards. You can just about see the
slight difference in the refractive index if you look carefully.

Unlike paint chips it isn't really DIY territory unless you like having
your windscreen fail as a shower of glass fragments whilst at speed.

Except that it would probably break into a few large pieces that were held
in place by the plastic laminate. Thankfully the days are long gone when
cars had "toughened" windscreens which broke into a mass of glass "pebbles"
which had to be punched out of the way if the screen broke while you were
driving. I was surprised that my 1993 VW Golf had a toughened sunroof rather
than laminated one - as I discovered when I found a 4-inch hole in it, glass
pebbles everywhere and a puddle of evil-smelling liquid on the floor. As I
lived under the flightpath for Heathrow, I think we know where that lump of
ice (later a puddle) came from...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 18:19, Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

my last smashed toughened windscreen was in 1978 in a 1977 chrysler
alpine S ...smashed on the M8 managed to get it home by sticking my head
out the door window didn't want glass down the defrost vents....should
have just smashed it through as the car rusted through wings and sills
in four and a half years....french simca 1308 scrap ......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 13:22:03 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 05/02/2020 10:40, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 February 2020 10:26:16 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

I'm guessing you mean resin stone chip repairs. If so, they're of very limited use. If there's even a single crack radiating even 1mm out from the chip, that crack will inevitably spread out, and UK law bans use of any windscreen in that state.

NT

What UK law would that be ?.

'MOT' tests just designate the zones and diameters of damage.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/c...d-windscreens/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 10:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

No.

Having watch how the professionals fix a 'chip' I don't think I'd even
try. To do the job properly- and I mean so you really can't see it- not
only takes time and skill but the right tools. I had a very nasty chip
on the Honda and Autoglass turned up, repaired it, and it was perfect.

True, a few months later ANOTHER stone hit the screen somewhere else
(why does it always happen twice?) and the chip was near the edge,
almost immediately the screen cracked. (All no where near the previous
chip).

If it is your Mustang I would thing getting a replacement screen with be
a pain in the proverbial so, even if you need to pay, getting in someone
like Autoglass is well worth it.

I always put a bit of clear tape over a chip ASAP until it is repaired.
I was told this helps stop moisture getting it. Not sure if it works
but, other than when the chip has been near the edge, Autoglass have
always been able to repair any I've had (quite a few over the years).

Most fully comp insurance policies include free chip repair and
windscreen replacement (sometimes any window) for a reduce cost (I think
I paid £75).

If you have to pay yourself for a new windscreen, try a main dealer.
(May be not for the Mustang.) Surprisingly they are often a LOT cheaper
than places like Autoglass for non-insurance work. Year ago, when I
first lost a windscreen and didn't appreciate the system, I got quotes
and Ford dealer were a LOT cheaper than the local windscreen place.
However, my insurance company wanted to use Autoglass and I assume got a
'deal' and it cost me nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 11:01, Brian Reay wrote:
On 05/02/2020 10:26, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
anybody had any luck using those chinky windscreen repair kits?

No.

Having watch how the professionals fix a 'chip' I don't think I'd even
try. To do the job properly- and I mean so you really can't see it- not
only takes time and skill but the right tools.* I had a very nasty chip
on the Honda and Autoglass turned up, repaired it, and it was perfect.

True, a few months later ANOTHER stone hit the screen somewhere else
(why does it always happen twice?) and the chip was near the edge,
almost immediately the screen cracked. (All no where near the previous
chip).

If it is your Mustang I would think getting a replacement screen would be
a pain in the proverbial so, even if you need to pay, getting in someone
like Autoglass is well worth it.

not a problem very easy if you take a chinky knock off ...an original
takes longer....the screen looks as if it has been sand blasted by
pebbles with two big ones ...one in line of sight and one on the
offside....done them all with the chiky kits and have to say that stuff
that dentist invented sets like concrete.....the line of site one has
been mentioned on the mot advisory for a good few years so didn't want
to trouble my insurance...

I always put a bit of clear tape over a chip ASAP until it is repaired.
I was told this helps stop moisture getting it. Not sure if it works
but, other than when the chip has been near the edge, Autoglass have
always been able to repair any I've had (quite a few over the years).

very true....they did the duster and I can't see it

Most fully comp insurance policies include free chip repair and
windscreen replacement (sometimes any window) for a reduce cost (I think
I paid £75).

If you have to pay yourself for a new windscreen, try a main dealer.
(May be not for the Mustang.) Surprisingly they are often a LOT cheaper
than places like Autoglass for non-insurance work. Year ago, when I
first lost a windscreen and didn't appreciate the system, I got quotes
and Ford dealer were a LOT cheaper than the local windscreen place.
However, my insurance company wanted to use Autoglass and I assume got a
'deal' and it cost me nothing.

yes insurance puts prices up for everybody...just got two o2 sensors to
replace if I can get them out of customs at heathrow and we are all set
until mot time in july......mpg has dropped from 35 to 22 highway
because of the sensor fault....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Scaremongering. Windscreens havent failed like that since they stopped
being simple toughened glass donkeys years ago.

I reckon toughened had a longer service life. Laminated tend to chip and
scratch far more readily due to the softer glass. I've had more screens
replaced due to tiny stone chipping (not an MOT failure) than I ever had
shatter.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
If it is your Mustang I would thing getting a replacement screen with be
a pain in the proverbial so, even if you need to pay, getting in someone
like Autoglass is well worth it.

Autoglass? Bunch of wank**s. They were the only option I had for an
insurance claim when the rear screen on the old Rover shattered (due, I
think, to a heating element fault)

It is installed in the old traditional way. Rubber seal. They re-used the
old seal and fitted it dry. Leaked like a sieve. BL manual says to use a
sealer between glass and rubber, and between rubber and body. During
fitting. They tried to seal it afterwards and failed. Then then said it
was the seal was leaking - not covered by insurance. And fitted a new seal
which I had to pay for. And gouged surrounding paint in two places. Still
leaked.

Eventually, a local independent removed it and did the job properly.

And not once did Autoglass apologise for their mistakes and the vast
inconvenience and money they cost me. Despite charging the insurance
company way over the odds for the new screen.

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 14:08:14, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

The amount Autoglass charge the insurance companies is a small fraction
of their retail price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2020 18:19, Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

They do if you have a head-on and come into contact with it, or through
it, as was the case before seat belts and child safety seats became the law.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

I did font and rear sceens on my mk1 capri in the early 90's with
sealant and string metod...no problems....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

that is why I did it myself ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Scaremongering. Windscreens havent failed like that since they stopped
being simple toughened glass donkeys years ago.

I reckon toughened had a longer service life. Laminated tend to chip and
scratch far more readily due to the softer glass. I've had more screens
replaced due to tiny stone chipping (not an MOT failure) than I ever had
shatter.

They did experiment with windscreens that are both toughened *and*
laminated. (I remember a bloke on Tomorrow's World jumping up and down
on one.) They were supposed to stop the skin of your face from being
scraped off when you hit it and slid down.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
And not once did Autoglass apologise for their mistakes and the vast
inconvenience and money they cost me. Despite charging the insurance
company way over the odds for the new screen.

The amount Autoglass charge the insurance companies is a small fraction
of their retail price.

Well, the fitter originally came to my house to do it. In the street. And
I made him a cup of tea. And he showed me his paperwork. That said 650
for the screen. Rimmer price about 200.

Is there a 'retail' price for such things? Very few indeed DIY fitted.

BTW, Autoglass originally said they couldn't source a new screen. Heads up
from a screen fitter on one of these newsgroups said they did have one at
their central warehouse. Which they then claimed was for an SD1 Vitesse.
Which has an identical part number (assuming the correct colour glass) on
all S2 SD1. Had to shout at them to get it ordered up.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
And not once did Autoglass apologise for their mistakes and the vast
inconvenience and money they cost me. Despite charging the insurance
company way over the odds for the new screen.

I did font and rear sceens on my mk1 capri in the early 90's with
sealant and string metod...no problems....

Yes- I fitted one to a Magnette. Same principle. But used the sealant the
book said.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 05/02/2020 18:19, Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Unlike paint chips it isn't really DIY territory unless you like having
your windscreen fail as a shower of glass fragments whilst at speed.

Scaremongering. Windscreens havent failed like that since they stopped
being simple toughened glass donkeys years ago.

Tim

They do if you have a head-on and come into contact with it, or through
it, as was the case before seat belts and child safety seats became the law.

Cant decide whether youre being obtuse and argumentative just for the
sake of it or you really dont know the difference between toughened and
laminated glass.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2020 17:15, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 05/02/2020 18:19, Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Unlike paint chips it isn't really DIY territory unless you like having
your windscreen fail as a shower of glass fragments whilst at speed.

Scaremongering. Windscreens havent failed like that since they stopped
being simple toughened glass donkeys years ago.

Tim

They do if you have a head-on and come into contact with it, or through
it, as was the case before seat belts and child safety seats became the law.

Cant decide whether youre being obtuse and argumentative just for the
sake of it or you really dont know the difference between toughened and
laminated glass.

Tim

I used to work in a haematology /blood bank dept in the 1970's.
I've seen the result of unbelted occupants in older cars that
have had a head-on or full-scale roll-over crash. Have you ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 07/02/2020 17:15, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 05/02/2020 18:19, Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Does laminated glass protect the occupants any more than toughened glass if
they hit the screen (eg because they are not wearing a seatbelt)? I believe
the main benefits of laminated are a) doesn't break into opaque glass
fragments, so driver can still see through broken screen, b) less chance of
flying objects (eg stone chips) penetrating the screen, as happened in the
tragic case of the son of footballer Cyril Knowles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 07/02/2020 17:15, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 05/02/2020 18:19, Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Unlike paint chips it isn't really DIY territory unless you like having
your windscreen fail as a shower of glass fragments whilst at speed.

Scaremongering. Windscreens havent failed like that since they stopped
being simple toughened glass donkeys years ago.

Tim

They do if you have a head-on and come into contact with it, or through
it, as was the case before seat belts and child safety seats became the law.

Cant decide whether youre being obtuse and argumentative just for the
sake of it or you really dont know the difference between toughened and
laminated glass.

Tim

I used to work in a haematology /blood bank dept in the 1970's.
I've seen the result of unbelted occupants in older cars that
have had a head-on or full-scale roll-over crash. Have you ?

Youre still confusing issues. I was responding to the suggestion that DIY
repairs were a bad idea because of the risk of screens failing at speed. As
I pointed out, this doesnt happen with laminated screens, only the old
toughened ones. When Martin made his comment about fail as a shower of
glass he was talking about putting ones face through the screen or when
struck by a stone?

You chose to bring in the irrelevant fact (to DIY repair) that screens can
make a mess of your face if you stuff them into your screen.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
Does laminated glass protect the occupants any more than toughened glass if
they hit the screen (eg because they are not wearing a seatbelt)? I believe
the main benefits of laminated are a) doesn't break into opaque glass
fragments, so driver can still see through broken screen, b) less chance of
flying objects (eg stone chips) penetrating the screen, as happened in the
tragic case of the son of footballer Cyril Knowles.

A toughened screen is much stronger. Your head hitting that might result
in severe damage to the skull. If it didn't shatter in the crash before
your head hit it.

A laminated screen might 'give' somewhat so not crush the skull, but the
very sharp shards cut your throat instead.

Neither is recommended.

But on a car before seat belts, the steering column likely crushed your
chest anyway - before your head hit the screen.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 February 2020 10:37:19 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
NY wrote:
[...]

In the 20s a typical outcome was steering column enters chest with horrific results. When did they become collapsible?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:
[...]

I was thinking that too. I'd say about the same time as seat belts arrived
- but on expensive cars first.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?