Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Why are long drill bits so hard to find?

On Fri, 07 Feb 2020 00:53:45 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

Then why did you take my words too literally

I didn't.

You assumed "almost every task" meant "almost every task".

if you don't have OCD?

I don't.

You assumed "almost every task" meant "almost every task".

I'm not sure if OCD is linked to brain lateralisation or not but there
are people here who appear to have fairly strong Left or Right brain
dominance from what they type.

Now it's either that they(the left brainers) do take things literally
as you say here with 'Rod' (or whatever his actual name is, another
clue to some sort of 'strangeness') or that they 'choose' to take
things literally because it gives them a chance of more trolling or
they realise they have argued themselves up a dead end.

Another reason is that they become isolated because of their LBD (lack
of empathy) and so like a feral dog, don't generally like / trust
anyone, even someone trying to be nice to them and so being disliked
is perfectly 'normal' to them.

I know *exactly* what you meant from what you said. Yes, you can often
need a drill to be longer than it is and especially if you are
*typically* doing things that involve drilling though things into
others (where they need to line up). Completely different issue if you
have a bit longer than it needs to be and so have put tape round drill
shanks (of set the bit deep in the chuck) to limit how far they drill
though but the observation of how often drills (drill bits) are too
short and not too long is spot on (how often have we held the very end
of a bit in the chuck, just to try to make it 'longer' to get it
though something)?

And as you also say correctly, go into any shed today and outside of
SDS / masonry bits and the *odd* smaller HSS bit, the lengths of bit
available are often very limited / standard.

Bits that are longer than you need are rarely an issue, bits that are
too short are and as you say, not something you can always resolve
easily (just by walking into any shed on a Sunday morning and buying
the length, spec and size of bit you want, even if it's only say 50%
longer than 'std' bits).

Cheers, T i m