Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why are long drill bits so hard to find?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0fk4a60zwdg98l@glass...
On Thu, 06 Feb 2020 20:39:07 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote
Thomas wrote

98mm is under 4 inches. What do you consider short?

The standard length for a 4mm width drill bit tends to be about 60mm.

Useless for almost every task.

Never found one that long useless for what I was doing
and I drilled a hell of a lot when building the house myself.
mostly for bolting the oregon facia boards onto the steel
vertical angle iron that I had welded to the steel roof beams.
Bolted on with gutter bolts.

I'll give you an example, I'm trying to drill through a conservatory
framework (which is 60mm thick) to put a bolt through it to go into the
wall. I need 60mm for the cobalt drill to make the hole, plus some extra
length as the drill chuck can't get right up against the framework (due to
the window framing). And even longer when I want to get into the wall
with the masonry bit, having gone through the frame.

That can certainly happen, but to claim that 60mm long
drills are useless for almost every task is completely silly
and just another pathetic excuse for a troll.

And longer ones are trivially available anyway.