Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Smoke/heat alarm for large kitchen?

On 04/02/2020 00:14, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Sunday, 2 February 2020 20:37:01 UTC, wrote:

Do you have a ceiling beam between the two areas - if so you will need separate detectors anyway.

There is a beam but it's recessed so completely flat throughout.

IMHO unless you have smoke-stop doors to a kitchen a smoke detector outside the kitchen is likely to activate before a heat detector in the kitchen anyway.

There is indeed an ionisation alarm in the hall and so perhaps that might help 'fill the gap', as it were, of fires that the heat alarm might fail to detect whilst not suffering too many false alarms due to being too near the cooking area.

Aico do remote hush/desensitise switches so one near the cooker may minimise the inconvenience and risk of any false alarms.

Yes, I remember Adam mentioning them when he wired our hob in. I think at the time I was assuming all the alarms had to be wired back to the unit in a hub-and-spoke type arrangement but looking it up I see it just connects up to the chain like another alarm would. I think I might get one as with seven alarms it could prove convenient.

Star or daisy chain wiring is OK.

The switch I mentioned is

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EI1529RC.html?

It will not NOT desensitise any smokes.

Best bet is to use separate smoke and heat alarms with the smoke as far
away from the kitchen part as possible.

PS I am chasing up what you need off me.

--
Adam