Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Hammerite

On 05/02/2020 12:44, rick wrote:
On 05/02/2020 10:18, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/02/2020 09:55, polygonum_on_google wrote:

The product description is: Styrenated oil modified alkyd containing
organic, inorganic pigment, aliphatic and aromatic solvents.

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/45976.pdf

It is a cross linked cure on setting as it dries polymer formulation
that once fully cured is probably impervious to most solvents as far
as being dissolved again but it will swell up with organic solvents.

There is a warning to recoat inside the cure window when it will still
bond to itself or waiting until after allowing a full cure. Repainting
in the interim period tends to be disastrous with the under layer
deforming and swelling up through absorbing solvent from the next
coat. In cold weather you need to allow a lot more time for a full cure.

Correct it says 'on the tin' recoat after 4 Hrs

It means recoatble with the same paint system though. Not with some
other solvent based paint. I can't find it on their website but the
original Hammerite formulation required about 2-3 weeks additional cure
time before it became more or less impervious to solvent attack.

If you didn't apply the second coat inside the right window of
opportunity 4hr-10hr then results were less than optimal. Working
outdoors sometimes the second coat had to be delayed due to weather.

The new formulation is somewhat more eco friendly but still very high
VOC and I think has slightly different characteristics. Towards the end
of my old oil tank's life it was pretty much held together by the stuff.

I waited 48 Hrs ... and the clear coat certainly reacted with the
Hammerite.
Going to be a right pain to sand down, as its all fiddly, with letters &
numbers.Â* :-(
I may try media blasting

You might get away with sanding it to remove the surface irregularities
and recoat. They advise testing any mixed paint/Hammerite combos first.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown