Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Removing Hammerite

rick wrote:
Have a cast brass number plate for outside a house.
Type where edge and numbers are raised, and the background is recessed
by around 5mm.

Initially raised letters and borders were polished brass, and the
background gloss black.

Used a Gel paint remover - it removed all the old black paint.
Polished up the raised surfaces, cleaned up resat and gave the
background a coat of Hammerite - Smooth Black
Looked neat .. left it 48 Hrs to dry fully ..... then to protect the
polished brass gave it a coast of clear enamel (spray)

It reacted with Hammerite and the surface is now all wrinkled.

Need to start again ..... 2 questions.

#1 how do I best remove Hammerite (& clear coat) - will gel paint
removers work

#2 how to clear coat it again once repainted
Do I use something else ... do I need to bake the item at a particular
temp to accelerate cure ? before applying clear coat.

Id try acetone. It will ( almost certainly) remove the clear coat. I
suspect also the Hammerite.

Ive €˜baked Hammerite in a oven I heated to the lowest it would go (120 C
i think) and place the work in there, oven off, door ajar. It seemed to
work- I wanted a tough finish on a brackets which where going to be
exposed.

Can you protect the Hammerite by masking? It is only the bare brass you
need to clear coat.

Also, brass contains Zinc which is a s*d to paint. You MAY want to research
a suitable primer compatible with Hammerite.