Posted to uk.d-i-y
rick rick is offline

Default Removing Hammerite

Have a cast brass number plate for outside a house.
Type where edge and numbers are raised, and the background is recessed
by around 5mm.

Initially raised letters and borders were polished brass, and the
background gloss black.

Used a Gel paint remover - it removed all the old black paint.
Polished up the raised surfaces, cleaned up resat and gave the
background a coat of Hammerite - Smooth Black
Looked neat .. left it 48 Hrs to dry fully ..... then to protect the
polished brass gave it a coast of clear enamel (spray)

It reacted with Hammerite and the surface is now all wrinkled.

Need to start again ..... 2 questions.

#1 how do I best remove Hammerite (& clear coat) - will gel paint
removers work

#2 how to clear coat it again once repainted
Do I use something else ... do I need to bake the item at a particular
temp to accelerate cure ? before applying clear coat.