Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A/C unit tripping electrics when it rains

On Sunday, 2 February 2020 22:30:07 UTC, quig wrote:

In 2005 I had a Millenniumair KFR-34GW Air Conditioning unit from
Global Cooling installed to cool an attic room, after reading
about the company on here.

??

It plugs into a socket. Recently if
the unit was running the sockets in the house tripped about 15
minutes after it started to rain. I don't know where the water is
getting in but I've tried to cover (some of) the unit with a
plastic table, tape and bin bags, and after doing this it trips
after hours rather than minutes. Is there anything that can be
done, without replacing the whole system?

Photos:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a040d0_o_d.jpg
Now
https://live.staticflickr.com/97/213...140895_o_d.jpg.
In 2005

insulation test the unit to confirm whether it's the problem. If it trips during rain it could be due to either rain getting into it or just the increase in RH causing borderline insulation to conduct. If it's now protected from rain it may be the latter. Again divide & conquer, use an insulation tester. Hopefully you can locate the defective part. Sometimes nothing more than a surface clean is needed.

NT