Posted to alt.home.repair
\[email protected] \Retired@Home.com is offline

Default recently put up a shelf supposedly on wall studs, but a question

On 2/1/20 3:09 PM, J-J wrote:
On 2/1/20 8:04 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 02:29:12 -0500, J-J wrote:

I recently put up shelving using wall studs as support.Â* I used an
electronic stud finder, then of course made sure the screws went into
the stud and not the wall.Â* However, I just found out about the magnet
test and it indeed is helping me find an additional stud a lot easier
than the stud finder did.Â*Â* However...

For the 12 x 36" shelf I already installed, the magnet test is not
finding a stud where I had installed one of the shelving brackets, but
about 3-4" to the right of the bracket, yet I know both screws for that
bracket went into a stud.Â* There are no wires or outlets near this
section of the wall. Can studs sometimes be only 3-4" apart for some
reason with one stud having no nails driven into it for the drywall
installation?Â* How can I tell for sure?Â* Could it be anything else
holding that shelf bracket?
Thanks!

plumbing,Â* plumbing vent,Â* central vac,Â* HVAC,Â*Â* etc etc
.. an extra stud put in by the carpenters because the first stud
was compromised by plumber, electrician, HVAC,Â* etc etc
Structure on the other side of the mystery stud that needed it ?
Drywallers would just use the normal stud location.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

Interesting.Â* Well, I can rule out plumbing as this is a room far away
from the plumbing in the house and the house has nothing but window
AC's, so must be some other reason.Â* No electrical boxes anywhere near
it either or outlets or switches.Â* I suppose I could just install an
extra bracket at the location where it normally would be just as a
preventative measure.Â* I sure don't want this glassware tumbling down unexpectedly someday.

Is it possible that on the other side of the wall with the shelf, in the
next room, there is a wall that extends out.

Like this ( if my ASCII art works). There would be studs that form the
corners of that wall that are in the middle of the normal 16" spacing of
the shelf wall.

_

_ = wall on other side

_