Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

Default recently put up a shelf supposedly on wall studs, but a question

I recently put up shelving using wall studs as support. I used an
electronic stud finder, then of course made sure the screws went into
the stud and not the wall. However, I just found out about the magnet
test and it indeed is helping me find an additional stud a lot easier
than the stud finder did. However...

For the 12 x 36" shelf I already installed, the magnet test is not
finding a stud where I had installed one of the shelving brackets, but
about 3-4" to the right of the bracket, yet I know both screws for that
bracket went into a stud. There are no wires or outlets near this
section of the wall. Can studs sometimes be only 3-4" apart for some
reason with one stud having no nails driven into it for the drywall
installation? How can I tell for sure? Could it be anything else
holding that shelf bracket?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 02:29:12 -0500, J-J wrote:

I recently put up shelving using wall studs as support. I used an
electronic stud finder, then of course made sure the screws went into
the stud and not the wall. However, I just found out about the magnet
test and it indeed is helping me find an additional stud a lot easier
than the stud finder did. However...

For the 12 x 36" shelf I already installed, the magnet test is not
finding a stud where I had installed one of the shelving brackets, but
about 3-4" to the right of the bracket, yet I know both screws for that
bracket went into a stud. There are no wires or outlets near this
section of the wall. Can studs sometimes be only 3-4" apart for some
reason with one stud having no nails driven into it for the drywall
installation? How can I tell for sure? Could it be anything else
holding that shelf bracket?
Thanks!

plumbing, plumbing vent, central vac, HVAC, etc etc
... an extra stud put in by the carpenters because the first stud
was compromised by plumber, electrician, HVAC, etc etc
Structure on the other side of the mystery stud that needed it ?
Drywallers would just use the normal stud location.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 2/1/20 8:04 AM, wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Well, I can rule out plumbing as this is a room far away
from the plumbing in the house and the house has nothing but window
AC's, so must be some other reason. No electrical boxes anywhere near
it either or outlets or switches. I suppose I could just install an
extra bracket at the location where it normally would be just as a
preventative measure. I sure don't want this glassware tumbling down
unexpectedly someday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/20 3:09 PM, J-J wrote:
On 2/1/20 8:04 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 02:29:12 -0500, J-J wrote:

I recently put up shelving using wall studs as support.Â* I used an
electronic stud finder, then of course made sure the screws went into
the stud and not the wall.Â* However, I just found out about the magnet
test and it indeed is helping me find an additional stud a lot easier
than the stud finder did.Â*Â* However...

For the 12 x 36" shelf I already installed, the magnet test is not
finding a stud where I had installed one of the shelving brackets, but
about 3-4" to the right of the bracket, yet I know both screws for that
bracket went into a stud.Â* There are no wires or outlets near this
section of the wall. Can studs sometimes be only 3-4" apart for some
reason with one stud having no nails driven into it for the drywall
installation?Â* How can I tell for sure?Â* Could it be anything else
holding that shelf bracket?
Thanks!

plumbing,Â* plumbing vent,Â* central vac,Â* HVAC,Â*Â* etc etc
.. an extra stud put in by the carpenters because the first stud
was compromised by plumber, electrician, HVAC,Â* etc etc
Structure on the other side of the mystery stud that needed it ?
Drywallers would just use the normal stud location.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

Interesting.Â* Well, I can rule out plumbing as this is a room far away
from the plumbing in the house and the house has nothing but window
AC's, so must be some other reason.Â* No electrical boxes anywhere near
it either or outlets or switches.Â* I suppose I could just install an
extra bracket at the location where it normally would be just as a
preventative measure.Â* I sure don't want this glassware tumbling down unexpectedly someday.

Is it possible that on the other side of the wall with the shelf, in the
next room, there is a wall that extends out.

Like this ( if my ASCII art works). There would be studs that form the
corners of that wall that are in the middle of the normal 16" spacing of
the shelf wall.

_

_ = wall on other side

_