Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default weather instrument barograph ink resource and pen modification?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 12:18:05 -0500, J-J wrote:

On 1/27/20 1:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 09:04:11 -0500, J-J wrote:

Picked up a 1972 Taylor barograph.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Taylor+barograph&tbm=isch

However, just for testing, I cannot seem to find a low cost slow drying
ink. There is "barograph ink", but it is quite expensive for a tiny
amount. I know there must be alternative slow drying inks out there
with different names at less cost that might be suitable. Any
suggestions would be welcome here.

Rubber stamp pad refill ink should work. It would not do to have the
stamp pad dry out prematurely.
https://www.staples.com/stamp+pad+ink/directory_stamp%2520pad%2520ink

Sorry to say that this ink isn't working. I filled the little
triangular reservoir to the brim and even after a full night, although
the drum and chart have rotated, nothing on the paper.

Does the instrument work with genuine barograph recording ink?

What are you using for paper? The real barograph paper is rather
absorbent. My closest approximation to a substitute was 20 lb inkjet
paper. The common universal variety, that does both inkjet and laser
printing is clay coated and will not absorb the ink. Inkjet paper
mostly worked, but my results were not very good.

I did some Googling and skimmed some old weather station manuals and
books to see if there were any clues as to how to make my own ink. I
did find some people online who have done it, but all of them are
selling the ink and probably will not divulge their formulation. I
haven't had time to search the patents pages. I suspect you might
find something there. I can help, but I won't have time for a week or
three.

Basically, you need an ink that will not dry out in less time needed
for the drum to rotate one full revolution. Graphing barometers are
available at varying rotation speeds. The most common is
1 rev = 1 week, but is also available in 1 day and 1 month per
revolution.

Mo
https://www.metcheck.co.uk/collections/barograph-pens-and-ink
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/47798-chart-recorder-ink-options/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barograph-Thermograph-Recording-Ink-Slow-Dry-Dark-Blue-5oz-15ml-/123902459872
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/barograph-instrument-recording-pen-276775650
etc...

I appreciate these, but the problem is that they are expensive for just
tiny amounts. The hope was to try this unit out for a week to make sure
it works, then put it up for resale. I suppose if I have no choice,
I'll have to go this way though.

You haven't provided a number which you consider expensive. $8 for a
10ml bottle of ink from Metcheck (plus shipping) is not a huge
investment. I think you'll find that the 10 ml bottle will last
several years. The recorder takes about 1 drop of ink from an eye
dropper to fill. That's about 20 drops per ml or 200 drops per
bottle. If your recorder runs for a week, and one drop lasts for a
conservative 2 weeks (based on my experience), that's:
2 * 200 / 52 = 7.8 years of operation
or about $1/year in ink.

--
Jeff Liebermann