RH.Campbell

Default Prewiring alarm for a new house

Sir, just another comment. I regularly install professional alarms in homes
that are pre wired. In most cases, everything works out well and I am able
to offer the homeowner a discount on his alarm system, since most of my work
is done. However, it is fairly common that drywallers or other trades will
damage a wire (and it's usually one that goes to a window that is difficult
to retrofit).
About the only thing you can do is check all wires in the quad to see if you
have one usable pair, or go wireless on that one window.

As for your comments about finding a progressive company that doesn't lock
you into a multi year contract, I couldn't agree more. There is absolutely
NOTHING in a long term contract that benefits the consumer other than the
obvious benefit of being able to defer payment of your alarm system over
many months. But if you pay for it at a fair market price up front, then you
should be able to get your ongoing services for a more reasonable price
without a long term commitment on your part.

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.homemetal.com

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." 73115 dot 1041 at compuserve dot com wrote in
message ...
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

Do you REALLY think somebody will come in and guarantee the
workmanship of their installation using your existing wiring?

Had a similar situation where the builder did the prewire and we added an

alarm
system about a year later. Found out too late that the wire to one window

was
shorted ouit (nail, who knows?) and so one window will never trip.

By the way - there are good alarm systems that can be installed that do

NOT
require any kind of subscription or contract. Find a company that is

willing to
install one of those and do not get coerced into signing a multi-year

contract.