Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Neighbor having ISP speed problems.

I don't know where I left off in this sad tale, but just an update.
Not sure I want any advice, because I don't have all the numbers!
I'm sure the order of some of the details are mixed up.

Neighbors has buffering on his 1 yr old Samsung 4K TV while watching
on NETFLIX.
First cable guy left after changing one barrel connector, he did many
speed tests and the best he got was 70MBPs, with a 100MPBs service. He
suggest the modem/router could be the problem.
Computer shows speeds of 5GBPs to 38GBPs. Cable guy blames slow speed
of the computer on the computer.

Neighbor bought a New Netgear C7000v2, and connected it, called the
cable company (Comcast) and they could net recognize the modem/router.
The called Netgear trying to resolve the problem and then after an hr
on the phone they hung up, we were on hold at the time.
Neighbor went and bought a second router with a separate modem.
He did manage to get that to work but it was also slow, even with a
ethernet connection.
New "highly experienced" cable guy comes. Though he spends about 3 hrs
at the house, and reboots everything and reinstalls any info needed in
to the original Modem/router "Netgear C7000" and the Samsung TV,
(UN65NU7100FXZA)
While testing with his phone he manages to get 100MBPs on a few
occasions, and much less (under 50) on many other occasions.
Speedtesting on the TV and the maximum he ever got was 32MBPs, and
many tests under that.

Also cable guy says call NetGear and have them combine 2.4 and 5GHZ
and the TV will work better. HUH!

Cable guys leaves, without, as far as I'm concerned fixing the problem.

OK even so, my neighbor calls Netgear to combine his 2.4 and 5GHz They
tell him the Netgear C7000 was made in 2016 and they will not cover
that, he can but a 1 yr service agreement for $138 or 2 yr for $220, he
gets ****ed and raises hell with them and they hang up. When he gets off
the phone, his internet is out. So he calls Netgear back, gets a new
person, explains it all and the rep turns his internet back on.
Now that really sucks.

Then the cable guy finds that on Samsung TV, 5GHZ is non functional
and says the problem is the wifi card is bad on his TV. Cable guy also
said that 2.4GHz wifi will not do 100GBPs, my info is 2.4GHz will work
at 450MBPS and even higher under best conditions.

Neighbor calls Sansung trying to get them to fix the 5GHz wifi and
they UNcombine the 2.4GHZ/5GHZ combine. That will fix your problem, We
do it all the time.

Now through all this, wife/girlfriend whats to rearrange the furniture.
So, we run a new coax to the corner where she wants the TV. Since the TV
router is in the back room we move the router out to the TV room where
almost all of the above tests were run.

The next step is to run one more cable from outside and end it an the
same box of the new cable just run. One will be internet and one will be
antenna. Now the modem/router will be next to the TV, and the TV will
have an ether net connection to the router/modem.

Update next week.

Mikek