Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hydrogen engines

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/01/2020 18:10, Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Only pretty old ones. The emissions regulations will have removed any
carb car later than the 'vintage car cutoff date'. I think thats more
than 40 years old essentially.

Not so. 1996 is the date. Earlier than that, a decent carb car can pass
the emissions requirement.

Carbs can pass the post-96 emissions tests, it just takes more effort
and extra controls and so was generally easier to do with injection and
carbs pretty well disappeared from new cars then.

SteveW

Yeah, I had a series III and that just about passed emissions wioth a
(new) carb now, I remember...

The last version of the SU carb had electronic control. Stepper motors for
both idle and mixture. Worked very well indeed - but of course was far to
complex for the average mechanic if anything should go wrong. And the cost
likely the same or higher than simple injection.

*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.