Warren Stone

Default Prewiring alarm for a new house

Sigh.

Read the thread about messed up programming. You're sure to create
unrest with such questions...

Apparent rules here.
1. You're an idiot if you don't install systems for a living.
2. Don't ask what something means. You don't need to know.
3. If something goes wrong it's your fault. Call the installer to fix it.
4. Anything else, refer to #1.

Other than that, do some research, do the work yourself, and have it
done right the first time.

John Smith wrote:
I am building a new house, and as an almost afterthought, I want to install
prewiring for an alarm system. I am thinking of just prewiring the system for
now, and purchase the system/subscription later. The drywall is not up, so
this should be reasonably easy to do.

System wise, I don't want to commit to a particular system/vendor yet, and I
want flexibility of choosing from different provider later. I assume that all
the wires are compatible amongst the many different systems (ie, the three
wires for power, ground, and signal, same gauge requirements, etc)? If not,
what should I look for?

What can I expect to pay for this? How do I spot a good installer? What
questions do I ask? How many sensors should I install (I am thinking all the
doors, all the windows, fire, water, smoke, low O2 (is there such thing), what
else am I missing?)?

Thanks.